POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 526 to 535 of 545)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 25 Oct 2011 12:01:26
Message: <4ea6dd56$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/24/2011 1:55, Stephen wrote:
> cost about GBP 50 per day.

WTF? My drive is 75 miles, and it costs about $25 round trip counting tolls.
And public transit is 3x as much in England?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Oct 2011 12:18:13
Message: <4ea6e145$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:08:54 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> To be fair, I don't think they try to exclude me on purpose. It's just
>>> that they all work in the same room, and I don't.
>>
>> Right - when you have one remote member of a team, it does require a
>> conscious effort to include them.
>
> And they make a half-hearted attempt to do that. It's just that, like so
> much in this department, it's not very thorough.

It takes effort and time, and if they're really busy, it's something that
probably doesn't get a lot of attention.  Sadly, that's pretty normal.

>> Except that you don't seem particularly happy, either.  Maybe that's
>> just what comes across here, but you often sound quite miserable and
>> depressed.  You worry about people in your own town beating you up, you
>> hate your job, your mom drives you crazy....About the only thing you've
>> said you like is the way Milton Keynes is organised.  That seems like a
>> very minor reason (to me, but hey, it may be very significant to you)
>> to stay someplace you hate around people you can't stand to be with who
>> don't respect you.
>
> In order to answer this properly, it becomes necessary to understand
> that my life has changed over the last few years.
>
> I used to live in a box, paranoid that if I set foot outside, I would be
> beaten to death. After all, almost every social interaction that I had
> ever experienced consisted either of being ignored or attacked.
>
> My life isn't like that any more. For the very first time in my life, I
> have *friends*. Actual, physical people that I can reach out and touch.
> [But only if dance class is on this week, sadly...] I'm happier than
> I've ever been at any prior point in my life.

It's good that things have improved for you - really, and I'm very happy
to hear that.  :)

Now that you've seen that life can be different, you're better prepared
to make a bigger change.  I understand not wanting to risk the current
level of happiness, I do.  At the same time, now that you know life can
be better, you know that even the current situation can be improved.

That's a very positive change for you (indeed, it would be for anyone). :)

> But yes, I still really dislike my job. I just feel that I'm wasting my
> life there. And my mum still drives me crazy! (In fact, just tonight
> I've had to put up with 3 hours of her bawling her eyes out like an
> overtired 2 year old...)

The more you write about your mum, the more I wonder if she needs to be
evaluated.  I don't have enough data (and that's probably a good thing),
but it does sound like she should at least talk to a professional.

>> Leaving home, though, isn't "abandonment of everything you've ever
>> cared about", though - I left my parents to go to college and to pursue
>> a career.  I still am a major part of my mom's life (my dad having
>> passed away a few years ago).
>
> I'd love to not have to live with my mum any more. It's just that I
> actually like MK. I have actual friends here, I love my dance school,
> and to be honest, every other city I've seen is just old and run-down.

Indeed that's a "problem" with living in a country that has a long
history.

There are other places in the world, though, where things are "newer".
Though arguably in the current economic climate, an overseas relocation
is likely to be more difficult (I know, I've been talking to friends over
there about relocation to the UK, but it doesn't look like that's going
to happen anytime soon, partly because work visas are in very short
supply at the moment).

>> It also tends to be a lot more expensive, and to most businesses,
>> saving money is a key part of survival.  And there's no guarantee that
>> the new car you buy won't have the same problem, or a different - and
>> more difficult - problem.
>
> I hear you. Like I said, *I* don't think it's the right answer. But hey,
> that's just me. Apparently.

Well, that's two of us.  And I know others. :)

>> So with gentoo, an emerge actually downloads the code needed to build,
>> and it builds all the dependencies.  So you weren't just building
>> Firefox, you were building the entire system.
>>
>> That's just slightly different.
>
> Well, no, I had already built several large things at this point.
> (Including X11 and KDE.) So those were already done. However, yeah, it's
> possible it pulled in some other dependencies as well as Firefox itself.
> Given that the ebuild system spews out commands longer than one terminal
> screenful (WTF?), it's hard to say.

My point is that Gentoo is not a good representative sample of how long
it takes to build software because that's how Gentoo does package
management.

>>> OK, well let me put it this way: I would be /surprised/ if HP are
>>> interested in helping anybody not paying for the priviledge.
>>
>> If you bought the product, you've already paid for the privilege of
>> getting at least fundamental setup help for the product.  If you can't
>> get it to work, you're likely to return it, and returns cost them
>> money. It's in their financial interest to support any product in at
>> least a minimal fashion.
>
> Sure. But if it's just a glitch in their driver that make it not work
> with a certain product, they aren't going to bother fixing that. Not
> unless there's money in it.

Customer satisfaction has a value to companies as well.  HP is big enough
to know that to be the case.

Jim

Post a reply to this message