POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A rare moment Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:30:53 EDT (-0400)
  A rare moment (Message 51 to 60 of 84)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: A rare moment
Date: 22 Sep 2011 13:33:25
Message: <4e7b7165$1@news.povray.org>
>> Doing *your* best is about *yourself*. It has nothing to do with anybody
>> else. It's something that everybody can strive towards, all on their
>> own.
>
> [...]
>
>> Competition is fundamentally about "I want me to win, not you". It runs
>> /against/ the idea of being fair and just.
>
> One can compete against oneself as well.  Running around a track, trying
> to beat your own best time, for example.

I would argue that "yourself" is ideally the /only/ person you should be
competing against.

> Competition is itself not inherently bad.  Competition drives people to
> put out better and better products and services, for one thing.

 From what I've seen, it drives people towards greater and greater
levels of obfuscation to prevent people realising how poor their
products and services are, rather than, you know, *actually* developing
better stuff. (The latter would cost *actual* money.)

> There is such a thing as *healthy* competition.

Sure. It's just uncommon.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/