POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vampires? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:24 EDT (-0400)
  Vampires? (Message 1 to 10 of 100)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: Vampires?
Date: 13 Sep 2011 04:32:52
Message: <4e6f1534$1@news.povray.org>
OK ... noticing times on some of these posts! LOL what a bunch of
vampires (me included) ... yikes the sun is about to rise. Quick ...
hide from the light!

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Vampires?
Date: 13 Sep 2011 04:40:26
Message: <4e6f16fa@news.povray.org>
On 13/09/2011 09:32 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> OK ... noticing times on some of these posts! LOL what a bunch of
> vampires (me included) ... yikes the sun is about to rise. Quick ...
> hide from the light!

BUT EVEN WHEN IT'S OUT OF SIGHT THE SUN SHINES NIGHT AND DAY!!

Post a reply to this message

On 09/13/2011 05:40 AM, Invisible wrote:
> On 13/09/2011 09:32 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
>> OK ... noticing times on some of these posts! LOL what a bunch of
>> vampires (me included) ... yikes the sun is about to rise. Quick ...
>> hide from the light!
>
> BUT EVEN WHEN IT'S OUT OF SIGHT THE SUN SHINES NIGHT AND DAY!!

yes ... and even if no one is there when a tree falls, it DOES make a noise

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Sep 2011 04:50:22
Message: <4e6f194e@news.povray.org>
On 13/09/2011 09:46 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:

> yes ... and even if no one is there when a tree falls, it DOES make a noise

And if a man speaks in a forest, he is still wrong, even if no woman is
there to hear him.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Sep 2011 04:52:23
Message: <4e6f19c7$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/09/2011 09:40 AM, Invisible wrote:

> BUT EVEN WHEN IT'S OUT OF SIGHT THE SUN SHINES NIGHT AND DAY!!

...and now I'm listening to my TMBG collection. With all the constant
dictionary lookups that entails.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 13 Sep 2011 05:06:49
Message: <4e6f1d29@news.povray.org>
On 09/13/2011 05:40 AM, Invisible wrote:
> On 13/09/2011 09:32 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
>> OK ... noticing times on some of these posts! LOL what a bunch of
>> vampires (me included) ... yikes the sun is about to rise. Quick ...
>> hide from the light!
>
> BUT EVEN WHEN IT'S OUT OF SIGHT THE SUN SHINES NIGHT AND DAY!!

ah ... yes you're +3 from my location. Well I've been up since 3:30am,
the moon is full, and I just couldn't resist the sound of my kin folk
howling in the distance ;-)

lol ... it's going to be a good day ... I've started off with a laugh!

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Sep 2011 05:12:29
Message: <4e6f1e7d@news.povray.org>
On 13/09/2011 10:06 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 09/13/2011 05:40 AM, Invisible wrote:
>> On 13/09/2011 09:32 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
>>> OK ... noticing times on some of these posts! LOL what a bunch of
>>> vampires (me included) ... yikes the sun is about to rise. Quick ...
>>> hide from the light!
>>
>> BUT EVEN WHEN IT'S OUT OF SIGHT THE SUN SHINES NIGHT AND DAY!!
>>
> ah ... yes you're +3 from my location. Well I've been up since 3:30am,
> the moon is full, and I just couldn't resist the sound of my kin folk
> howling in the distance ;-)

It's a full moon here toooooooooooo

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Sep 2011 05:17:42
Message: <4e6f1fb6$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/09/2011 09:52 AM, Invisible wrote:

> ...and now I'm listening to my TMBG collection. With all the constant
> dictionary lookups that entails.

Suddenly "dictionary attack" takes on a whole new meaning. o_O

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 13 Sep 2011 06:38:56
Message: <4e6f32c0@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> OK ... noticing times on some of these posts! LOL what a bunch of
> vampires (me included) ... yikes the sun is about to rise. Quick ...
> hide from the light!

  In the original Dracula novel the eponymous character was not even
annoyed by sunlight. (But IIRC he was unable to transform.)

  IIRC also in the original Dracula movie sunlight wasn't such a big
problem.

  The whole sunlight thing was invented by the movie Nosferatu. For some
reason it stuck.

  Comparing those two movies is actually interesting, as they both set
precedents that have lasted to this day. The former set the precedent for
an elegant suave aristocrat gentleman who would lure their victims using
his sheer charm and personality (with possible bits of hypnosis).

  The latter set the precedent for the deformed, big-fanged, pointy-eared
(and hence more bat-like) vampire, which also sees its uses nowadays to
larger or lesser extent.

  A mix between the two is also sometimes used, with the vampire transforming
between the two forms (like in Buffy). For some reason the lethality of
sunlight is (almost) always retained in both characterizations, though
(except for those few movies that try to be loyal to the original novel).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Sep 2011 06:47:42
Message: <4e6f34ce@news.povray.org>
On 13/09/2011 11:38 AM, Warp wrote:

>    IIRC also in the original Dracula movie sunlight wasn't such a big
> problem.
>
>    The whole sunlight thing was invented by the movie Nosferatu. For some
> reason it stuck.

I'm almost afraid to ask how you know that...

>    Comparing those two movies is actually interesting, as they both set
> precedents that have lasted to this day. The former set the precedent for
> an elegant suave aristocrat gentleman who would lure their victims using
> his sheer charm and personality (with possible bits of hypnosis).

So, the "evil genius" character?

>    The latter set the precedent for the deformed, big-fanged, pointy-eared
> (and hence more bat-like) vampire, which also sees its uses nowadays to
> larger or lesser extent.

Random monster.