POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Data transfer (Message 191 to 195 of 195)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Data transfer
Date: 19 Sep 2011 14:58:31
Message: <4e7790d7$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 19:25:40 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> On 19/09/2011 06:49 PM, Darren New wrote:
>
>> Uh, no. VNC was *specifically* designed to be trivial to implement at
>> both ends.
>
> And here I was thinking it was designed to, you know, allow you to
> remote control things. Because there aren't any other cross-platform
> solutions for doing that.

Like RDP, for example?  Yes, I have an RDP client that runs on Linux.

>> Except you aren't the person who designed VNC. You're the person who
>> should be using RDP or maybe X-Windows, or NeWS, or any of the other
>> dozens of remote graphics solutions.
>
> It's news to me that "dozens of remote graphics solutions" exist. It's
> certainly news to me that any of them work on more than one platform.

Teamviewer, VNC, NoMachine's NX client/server, XDMCP...I could go on.

>> Ask the guys who wrote VNC, which runs in a web browser too, you know.
>
> In what universe is that useful?

In a universe where you don't have or want to install a full-blown client
locally.

Say you need to remotely access a system from your public library's
computer.  I'm sure they won't let you install arbitrary software on
their system.  But they probably have Java installed for the browser.

Hell, the remote exams I used to run at Novell could be run in a browser
- far easier to support in some ways than having to walk a non-technical
person through installing a client and making sure the software
functioned properly.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> And here I was thinking it was designed to, you know, allow you to remote
> control things.

Which it does.

> Because there aren't any other cross-platform solutions for
> doing that.

Nonsense.

> It's news to me that "dozens of remote graphics solutions" exist. It's
> certainly news to me that any of them work on more than one platform.

I'm not surprised. :-)

>> Ask the guys who wrote VNC, which runs in a web browser too, you know.
> In what universe is that useful?

In the universe where you may need to log into your machine remotely from a
machine where you aren't allowed to install software?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message