POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My hypothesis Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  My hypothesis (Message 51 to 54 of 54)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: My hypothesis
Date: 15 Sep 2011 22:06:02
Message: <4e72af0a$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/14/2011 13:54, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I'm guessing that's for performance, not correctness.

On third google:

http://bartoszmilewski.wordpress.com/2008/11/05/who-ordered-memory-fences-on-an-x86/

That pretty much summarizes it, I guess.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 16 Sep 2011 04:32:54
Message: <4e7309b6$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/09/2011 03:03 AM, Darren New wrote:

> It appears at first google that you are correct.

I usually am. And yet people still seem surprised...

> You will always fetch the
> most recent pointer I have stored, but executing "store data ; store
> pointer" might store the pointer before the data without a fence.

It took me a few minutes contemplation to figure out why cache coherence
doesn't solve that problem.

[OK, I can't keep a straight face any more. Of *course* I'm not always
right! LOLZ. Sometimes I feel like I'm right a lot more often than I get
credit for though...]

Post a reply to this message