POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not that I'm complaining ... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:27:58 EDT (-0400)
  Not that I'm complaining ... (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: Not that I'm complaining ...
Date: 1 Sep 2011 12:46:05
Message: <4e5fb6cd@news.povray.org>
... but has anyone else noticed a dramatic down-turn in the amount of
spam the last couple of days?

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Not that I'm complaining ...
Date: 1 Sep 2011 13:14:31
Message: <4e5fbd77$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/09/2011 05:46 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> ... but has anyone else noticed a dramatic down-turn in the amount of
> spam the last couple of days?

No.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Stephen
Date: 1 Sep 2011 13:30:01
Message: <web.4e5fc06a714a3350edb42c8d0@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> ... but has anyone else noticed a dramatic down-turn in the amount of
> spam the last couple of days?

Just the opposite, unfortunately.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 1 Sep 2011 13:54:08
Message: <4e5fc6c0$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/01/2011 02:27 PM, Stephen wrote:
> Jim Holsenback<nom### [at] nomailcom>  wrote:
>> ... but has anyone else noticed a dramatic down-turn in the amount of
>> spam the last couple of days?
>
> Just the opposite, unfortunately.
>
> Stephen

Well ... I'll just count my blessings then and keep my mouth shut before
I jinx it ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 1 Sep 2011 14:35:01
Message: <web.4e5fcf8b714a3350edb42c8d0@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> On 09/01/2011 02:27 PM, Stephen wrote:
> > Jim Holsenback<nom### [at] nomailcom>  wrote:
> >> ... but has anyone else noticed a dramatic down-turn in the amount of
> >> spam the last couple of days?
> >
> > Just the opposite, unfortunately.
> >
> > Stephen
> >
> Well ... I'll just count my blessings then and keep my mouth shut

That will be a first, then. :-P

> before
> I jinx it ;-)

I've had a good run of very little spam but it is beginning to build up again.
I thought that it might be due to this:
 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11757347
but that was a year ago

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 1 Sep 2011 15:49:13
Message: <4e5fe1b9$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/01/2011 03:31 PM, Stephen wrote:
> Jim Holsenback<nom### [at] nomailcom>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Just the opposite, unfortunately.
>>>
>>> Stephen
>>>
>> Well ... I'll just count my blessings then and keep my mouth shut
>

> That will be a first, then. :-P

lol ... yes, but that's harder than it seems

>> before
>> I jinx it ;-)
>
> I've had a good run of very little spam but it is beginning to build up again.
> I thought that it might be due to this:
>   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11757347
> but that was a year ago

usually i'm getting about dozen/dozen and a half daily, but the last few
days NONE ... maybe it's the calm before the storm

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 1 Sep 2011 17:30:25
Message: <4e5ff971@news.povray.org>

> ... but has anyone else noticed a dramatic down-turn in the amount of
> spam the last couple of days?

Exactly zero spam in my main inbox for the last two month :)
Zero spam got past the filters on my g-mail acount, and usualy less than
3 to 5 per day.
And 3 filtered out on a secondary acount for the whole month of august.

Not bad at all.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 2 Sep 2011 07:57:23
Message: <4e60c4a2@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> ... but has anyone else noticed a dramatic down-turn in the amount of
> spam the last couple of days?

  Something like 5 years ago I would receive about 100 spam emails per day.
For the last 2 or 3 years I only receive at most 10. I don't know what has
changed.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 2 Sep 2011 09:01:09
Message: <4e60d395$1@news.povray.org>

> Jim Holsenback<nom### [at] nomailcom>  wrote:
>> ... but has anyone else noticed a dramatic down-turn in the amount of
>> spam the last couple of days?
>
>    Something like 5 years ago I would receive about 100 spam emails per day.
> For the last 2 or 3 years I only receive at most 10. I don't know what has
> changed.

Your ISP has probably implemented filtering on their mail relays.  Most
used to say "not my problem".  Up until the point where they realized
that 95% of the e-mails going through their servers were spam, and
decided that investing in a filtering solution was actually a good idea.

From: Warp
Date: 2 Sep 2011 09:57:50
Message: <4e60e0de@news.povray.org>
Francois Labreque <fla### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > Jim Holsenback<nom### [at] nomailcom>  wrote:
> >> ... but has anyone else noticed a dramatic down-turn in the amount of
> >> spam the last couple of days?
> >
> >    Something like 5 years ago I would receive about 100 spam emails per day.
> > For the last 2 or 3 years I only receive at most 10. I don't know what has
> > changed.
> >

> Your ISP has probably implemented filtering on their mail relays.  Most
> used to say "not my problem".  Up until the point where they realized
> that 95% of the e-mails going through their servers were spam, and
> decided that investing in a filtering solution was actually a good idea.

  My "ISP" is google mail, which puts spam in its own folder.

  OTOH it might be that gmail simply discards all spam that it knows for
sure is spam.

--
                                                          - Warp