POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A mental image Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  A mental image (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Invisible
Subject: A mental image
Date: 26 Aug 2011 11:46:33
Message: <4e57bfd9$1@news.povray.org>
Picture the scene:

It's a grey, rainy English summer day. I'm sitting in my car, parked
round the back of a dilapidated roadside restaurant in the middle of
nowhere. Hanging from the crumbling paintwork is a bright shiny sign
proclaiming "Free Wi-Fi!" The car park is completely empty except for me
and 3 other cars. I'm sitting in the driver's seat in my office shirt
and trousers, with my pass still hanging round my neck. The laptop is
plugged into an AC adaptor, which is plugged into a DC to AC inverter,
which is plugged into the cigarette lighter in the dashboard. I have the
engine running. Between that and the inverter, my car is currently
functioning as an over-priced portable petrol generator, and it's
powering the laptop.

Using the Wi-Fi, I've been able to establish an encrypted VPN tunnel to
our corporate HQ in Indiana, USA, which is then routing my encrypted
traffic back to the UK office, where I've established an RDP session
with a laptop sitting in the server room. While sitting in the car park,
I've successfully installed a remote COM port mapper program and our
temperature probe monitoring software on the laptop in the server room,
so that, from 8.8 miles away, I can tell what the internal temperature

Now all I've got to do is explain to the nominated freezer response
person who to launch this unholy contrivance themselves, over 56K
dial-up from their house...