POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories Server Time
26 Sep 2024 23:35:49 EDT (-0400)
  Memories (Message 65 to 74 of 94)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Memories
Date: 22 Aug 2011 04:20:36
Message: <4e521154$1@news.povray.org>
>> Nobody ever needs to compute the exact quotient of two 4-figure numbers
>> mentally. It's not necessary. You just need to be able to estimate the
>> answer with sufficient accuracy.
>
> True.
>
>> (Something which apparently a great
>> many people can't do for some reason...)
>
> Again true.

I hypothesize that this is due to their being far too much emphasis on
memorising the algorithms for (say) computing a quotient, and far too
little emphasis on getting a feel for what all the symbols *mean*, and
*why* you manipulate them in this way.

>> Practising something you're going to need to do every single day of your
>> life is worth while. Practising something which you will never, ever
>> need to actually do is pointless.
>
> Well it surprises me that you never need to calculate something when you
> are away from some form of calculator.

It's not that I never need to calculate something. It's that I never
need to calculate something to 6 figures. Usually I just need to
estimate the answer. If I really do need an *exact* answer, I can use a
calculator (given that there is *always* one in my pocket), or use
pencil and paper if it matters that much.

Post a reply to this message