POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other OS Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  The other OS (Message 71 to 80 of 130)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: The other OS
Date: 8 Aug 2011 09:09:20
Message: <4e3fe000@news.povray.org>
> No. When I want to generate large chunks of text programatically, I
> write a program. (As you can probably tell, this isn't something I need
> to do very often.)

  Why, when you could have your text editor do it?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 8 Aug 2011 09:22:40
Message: <4e3fe320$1@news.povray.org>
Le 08/08/2011 15:09, Warp a écrit :
>> No. When I want to generate large chunks of text programatically, I
>> write a program. (As you can probably tell, this isn't something I need
>> to do very often.)
>
>   Why, when you could have your text editor do it?

Let's face it:
* vi is a text editor.
* emacs is an elisp based monster which happen to also be a text editor
by default (but it can be your mail reader, and far more, including your
navigation shell)
* other programs daring to be titled "text editor" are just lacking a
lot of functionalities and are at best replacement for Notepad.

Post a reply to this message

> * emacs is an elisp based monster which happen to also be a text editor
> by default (but it can be your mail reader, and far more, including your
> navigation shell)
> * other programs daring to be titled "text editor" are just lacking a
> lot of functionalities and are at best replacement for Notepad.

  Real programmers use edlin anyways.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message