POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I love a good debunking Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  I love a good debunking (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: I love a good debunking
Date: 21 Jul 2011 21:09:23
Message: <4e28cdc3@news.povray.org>

> Mike the Elder<nomail@nomail>  wrote:
>> It's not so much that this guy is actually *swaying* anyone in Congress, rather
>> it's simply the case that a large number of are legislators are bought and paid
>> for by corporate interests who are intent on maximizing their profits regardless
>> of the reality of global warmimg.  These folks are more than willing to exploit
>> any ol' diversion, misdirection or smoke screen (a genuinely accidental pun)
>> that becomes available.
>
>    I have always wondered why companies seem to think so short-term. It's
> like they are thinking: "Who cares what happens to the world 50 years from
> now? It's not like our company will even exist that long." Eh... Many
> companies, especially the successful ones, *do* exist decades, even
> centuries. Such short-term planning seems counterintuitive to the goal of
> a company succeeding big. Big success = company is prosperous for decades.
> Short-term planning = company dies when the world dies.

Not so long ago, when you started to exploit a mine, you where in it for
the LOOOONG term. Terms of at least 50 years, normaly more, lot more!
Some mines are in operation since over 1000 years...

Recently, my prime minister, Jean Charest, unveiled his "Plan Nord" for
the next 20~25 years with some mines planed to be closed after that
period. In my opinion, that's prety dumb. That and the fact that those
mines will probably be used to export raw, unprocessed, ores.

Alain

Post a reply to this message