POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The die is cast Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:39 EDT (-0400)
  The die is cast (Message 1 to 10 of 31)
From: Invisible
Subject: The die is cast
Date: 6 Jul 2011 04:18:59
Message: <4e141a73@news.povray.org>
Random fact of the day: According to Wiktionary, "dice" is supposedly
the plural of "die".

Let me tell you, I have been alive for over 3 decades, and I have
*never* heard anybody call it that.

At best, I have seen one math textbook which asserts that
"mathematicians use the word 'die' as a shorthand for 'dice'". The book
then proceeded to use the words "die" and "dies" whenever it meant
"dice". Even if Wiktionary is correct, this textbook seems to be
flat-out wrong.

The *only* actual usage of "die" meaning "dice" that I can find is in
the subject line - the obscure phrase "the die is cast". I've never
heard any other reference to "die" meaning "dice".

Post a reply to this message

> Random fact of the day: According to Wiktionary, "dice" is supposedly
> the plural of "die".
>
> Let me tell you, I have been alive for over 3 decades, and I have
> *never* heard anybody call it that.
>
> At best, I have seen one math textbook which asserts that
> "mathematicians use the word 'die' as a shorthand for 'dice'". The book
> then proceeded to use the words "die" and "dies" whenever it meant
> "dice". Even if Wiktionary is correct, this textbook seems to be
> flat-out wrong.
>
> The *only* actual usage of "die" meaning "dice" that I can find is in
> the subject line - the obscure phrase "the die is cast". I've never
> heard any other reference to "die" meaning "dice".

From the Oxford Endglish Dictionary Online:

dice - noun (plural same)

1 a small cube with each side having a different number of spots on it,
ranging from one to six, thrown and used in gambling and other games
involving chance.  See also die
[mass noun] a game played with dice.

2 small cubes of food:cut the meat into dice

die(2) - noun

1  singular form of dice

2 (plural dies)a device for cutting or moulding metal into a particular
shape an engraved device for stamping a design on coins or medals.

3 Architecture - the cubical part of a pedestal between the base
and the cornice; a dado or plinth.

It turns out I've gone through most of life getting it wrong as well,
albeit wrong differently. It my particular experience, the phrase
"The die is cast" was fairly common rather than obscure, so I just
went on believing that "die" was the correct singular form and that
using "dice" as the singular was an error.  Apparently, this is not so.

It also seems that "dies" can be a correct plural form of "die", but
NOT when referring to dotted gambling cubes. It is, instead, the plural
form of metal stamping and moulding devices. It is probably correct
for architectural elements as well, but the short online entry doesn't
specify. (I'm at work and my "OE Unabridged" is at home.)

Oh well, live and learn. (Both of which beat the alternatives.)

Best regards,

Mike C.

Post a reply to this message

> Random fact of the day: According to Wiktionary, "dice" is supposedly
> the plural of "die".
>
> Let me tell you, I have been alive for over 3 decades, and I have
> *never* heard anybody call it that.

As far as I've seen, in the world of roleplay gaming "die" is the common
singular of the manual integer random number generator (be it a cuboid
or otherwise)

Post a reply to this message