POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quad Core, Baby! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  Quad Core, Baby! (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Quad Core, Baby!
Date: 2 Jul 2011 13:15:00
Message: <web.4e0f512863f16491f3645410@news.povray.org>
The old Athlon XP 2400 with half a gig of RAM up and died a couple weeks ago.
It was due to happen; I built the system in 2003.  Got an HP quad core Athlon
system.

Single-core rendering is almost twice as fast, and with all four cores rendering
is 7.6 times as fast.

So I make the frames larger (512x288 vs. 320x240), and up the AA levels as well.

Life is good.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

On 02/07/2011 6:11 PM, John VanSickle wrote:
> The old Athlon XP 2400 with half a gig of RAM up and died a couple weeks ago.
> It was due to happen; I built the system in 2003.  Got an HP quad core Athlon
> system.
>
> Single-core rendering is almost twice as fast, and with all four cores rendering
> is 7.6 times as fast.
>
> So I make the frames larger (512x288 vs. 320x240), and up the AA levels as well.
>
> Life is good.

So Rusty comes back in turbo?

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On 02/07/2011 06:11 PM, John VanSickle wrote:
> The old Athlon XP 2400 with half a gig of RAM up and died a couple weeks ago.
> It was due to happen; I built the system in 2003.

This does not bode well for my aging Athlon 2X 4200+ socket-939 built in
2005... o_O

> Got an HP quad core Athlon system.
>
> Single-core rendering is almost twice as fast, and with all four cores rendering
> is 7.6 times as fast.
>
> So I make the frames larger (512x288 vs. 320x240), and up the AA levels as well.
>
> Life is good.

For any increase in compute power, a comparable increase in rendering
settings will nullify any speed improvement. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> So I make the frames larger (512x288 vs. 320x240), and up the AA levels as well.

  It's the old adage: Computers get faster, rendering times don't. ;)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

"John VanSickle" <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> The old Athlon XP 2400 with half a gig of RAM up and died a couple weeks ago.
> It was due to happen; I built the system in 2003.  Got an HP quad core Athlon
> system.
>
> Single-core rendering is almost twice as fast, and with all four cores rendering
> is 7.6 times as fast.
>
> So I make the frames larger (512x288 vs. 320x240), and up the AA levels as well.
>
> Life is good.
>
> Regards,
> John

You were making Rusty videos on something that old???

Post a reply to this message

>    It's the old adage: Computers get faster, rendering times don't. ;)

None can deny the Truth. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> "John VanSickle" <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > The old Athlon XP 2400 with half a gig of RAM up and died a couple weeks ago.
> > It was due to happen; I built the system in 2003.  Got an HP quad core Athlon
> > system.
> >
> > Single-core rendering is almost twice as fast, and with all four cores rendering
> > is 7.6 times as fast.
> >
> > So I make the frames larger (512x288 vs. 320x240), and up the AA levels as well.
> >
> > Life is good.
>
> You were making Rusty videos on something that old???

Yes, although the last Rusty vid was made in 2007, when the machine was only
four years old.

Regards,
John