POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Babbage Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:16:30 EDT (-0400)
  Babbage (Message 11 to 20 of 22)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Babbage
Date: 4 Jul 2011 03:55:20
Message: <4e1171e8$1@news.povray.org>
>> I spent half an hour on Wikipedia and couldn't really find the
>> information I was looking for. I figured somebody here might know.
>
> Ah, yes, p.o-t as a meta-search engine, one of the best there is.

You know it's true. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 4 Jul 2011 03:57:32
Message: <4e11726c$1@news.povray.org>
>> And, obviously, no mention on whether Babbage himself knew it existed.
>> ;-)
>
> Electricity as such he knew about, even if only as static electricity.
> At that point in time small efficient electromotors were not available,
> nor was there a distribution grid
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents). It would not have been a
> viable choice, even less than the gears.

OK. Well that's essentially what I was asking.

Even more than whether it was "feasible", I was wondering whether it's
an idea that anyone would have even thought of. Did people know enough
about electricity to realise that you could use it to transmit information?

> IMHO asking about a connection of the analytic machine and electricity
> is as sensible as asking why the first combustion engines did not use a
> computer to adjust the timing. Something very wrong with the order of
> historic events. But I assume you asked because you didn't know the
> order of events.

Yeah. I vaguely gather that Babbage was a mad Victorian inventor. And
I've heard the telegraph described as "the Victorian internet", so...

(When I first heard about the Analytical Engine, I had assumed it
pre-dated the discovery of electricity, but clearly that isn't strictly
true.)

Post a reply to this message

yes Marconi... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guglielmo_Marconi

>> IMHO asking about a connection of the analytic machine and electricity
>> is as sensible as asking why the first combustion engines did not use a
>> computer to adjust the timing. Something very wrong with the order of
>> historic events. But I assume you asked because you didn't know the
>> order of events.
>
> Yeah. I vaguely gather that Babbage was a mad Victorian inventor. And
> I've heard the telegraph described as "the Victorian internet", so...
>
> (When I first heard about the Analytical Engine, I had assumed it
> pre-dated the discovery of electricity, but clearly that isn't strictly
> true.)

Post a reply to this message

>> Even more than whether it was "feasible", I was wondering whether it's
>> an idea that anyone would have even thought of. Did people know enough
>> about electricity to realise that you could use it to transmit
>> information?
>
> yes Marconi... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guglielmo_Marconi

...who apparently died exactly one century after the Analytical Engine
was designed...

Post a reply to this message

On 04/07/2011 08:57 AM, Invisible wrote:

> Even more than whether it was "feasible", I was wondering whether it's
> an idea that anyone would have even thought of. Did people know enough
> about electricity to realise that you could use it to transmit information?

It appears the earliest telegraph experiments happened somewhere around
this time-frame. I don't know how widely-known they were at the time though.

Post a reply to this message

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fax#History

--
Regards