POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about machine code terminology Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Question about machine code terminology (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Darren New
Subject: Question about machine code terminology
Date: 30 Jun 2011 00:20:13
Message: <4e0bf97d@news.povray.org>
When I was studying machine code way back when, things like current
interrupt priority and privilege mode and such were very simple. Now there's
all kinds of stuff in CPUs, like information about caches, all kinds of
privilege rings, etc etc etc.

What's that sort of stuff called, that I could google it to learn about how
things like x64 machines deal with such things? At least to the extent of
what sorts of things machines support these days?

It used to be you'd just issue something like a "load processor status word"
or "store processor status word", but that was way back when processor
status fit in one word. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like