POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Retro music Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:31 EDT (-0400)
  Retro music (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Invisible
Subject: Retro music
Date: 7 Jun 2011 09:04:58
Message: <4dee21fa@news.povray.org>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_poke

"The floppy drive of the Commodore Amiga personal computer could be made
to produce noises of various pitches, by making the drive heads move

or less correctly, on the Amiga's floppy drive.[5] As some sounds relied
on the head assembly hitting the stop, this gradually sent the head out
of alignment."

Oh. My. God.

Post a reply to this message

> "The floppy drive of the Commodore Amiga personal computer could be made
> to produce noises of various pitches, by making the drive heads move

> or less correctly, on the Amiga's floppy drive.[5] As some sounds relied
> on the head assembly hitting the stop, this gradually sent the head out
> of alignment."
>
> Oh. My. God.

indeed!

I only knew tracker music...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

>> "The floppy drive of the Commodore Amiga personal computer could be
>> made to produce noises of various pitches, by making the drive heads

>> Pasa, more or less correctly, on the Amiga's floppy drive.[5] As some
>> sounds relied on the head assembly hitting the stop, this gradually
>> sent the head out of alignment."
>>
>> Oh. My. God.
>
> indeed!
>
> I only knew tracker music...

This *is* tracker music - head tracker! :-D

Also, brings a whole new meaning to "head banging music", eh? ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 14:04:57 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_poke
>
> "The floppy drive of the Commodore Amiga personal computer could be made
> to produce noises of various pitches, by making the drive heads move
> back and forth. A program existed which could play El Cóndor Pasa, more
> or less correctly, on the Amiga's floppy drive.[5] As some sounds relied
> on the head assembly hitting the stop, this gradually sent the head out
> of alignment."
>
> Oh. My. God.

Yep, I remember seeing demos of this type of thing.  Could be done with
some printers as well.

Jim

Post a reply to this message