POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random fact of the day Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Random fact of the day (Message 1 to 10 of 56)
From: Invisible
Subject: Random fact of the day
Date: 1 Jun 2011 06:51:21
Message: <4de619a9$1@news.povray.org>
Unix has a concept of "current working directory". Windows has an
identical concept. But did you know that Windows keeps a working
directory FOR EVERY DRIVE?

C:\> CD Foo
C:\Foo> D:
D:\> CD Bar
D:\Bar> E:
E:\> C:
C:\Foo> D:
D:\Bar> E:
E:\> DIR C:
--lists everything in C:\Bar--
E:\> DIR C:\
--lists everything in C:\--

How random is that?

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Random fact of the day
Date: 1 Jun 2011 07:11:09
Message: <4de61e4d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.06.2011 12:51, schrieb Invisible:
> Unix has a concept of "current working directory". Windows has an
> identical concept. But did you know that Windows keeps a working
> directory FOR EVERY DRIVE?

Yes.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 1 Jun 2011 07:18:37
Message: <4de6200d$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/06/2011 12:11, clipka wrote:
> Am 01.06.2011 12:51, schrieb Invisible:
>> Unix has a concept of "current working directory". Windows has an
>> identical concept. But did you know that Windows keeps a working
>> directory FOR EVERY DRIVE?
>
> Yes.

And thus C:\ and C: are two different paths. Except that sometimes they
point to the same place...

Post a reply to this message