POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : There's something wrong about... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  There's something wrong about... (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Darren New
Subject: There's something wrong about...
Date: 4 May 2011 12:50:16
Message: <4dc183c8$1@news.povray.org>
... a company that requires you to twice enter a password with upper case,
lower case, digits, *and* punctuation, and then mails it to you as a
confirmation in the clear.  Sheesh.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: There's something wrong about...
Date: 4 May 2011 16:48:25
Message: <4dc1bb99$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/05/2011 05:50 PM, Darren New wrote:
> ... a company that requires you to twice enter a password with upper
> case, lower case, digits, *and* punctuation, and then mails it to you as
> a confirmation in the clear. Sheesh.

How about mailing it to you every 6 weeks in case you forgot it? (Yes,
I've seen systems that do this.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> ... a company that requires you to twice enter a password with upper
> case, lower case, digits, *and* punctuation, and then mails it to you as
> a confirmation in the clear. Sheesh.

You know what's worse?

A company that requires you to send files to them electronically using
SFTP, requires that it uses public key authentication, and emails you
the private key that you're supposed to use, unencrypted.

People, the entire *point* of public key cryptography is that you should
never do this! >_<

Post a reply to this message

> A company that requires you to send files to them electronically using
> SFTP, requires that it uses public key authentication, and emails you
> the private key that you're supposed to use, unencrypted.

  I thought the private key can only be used to decrypt, not to encrypt.
(Unless the public key can be created from the private key, which might be
the case.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> A company that requires you to send files to them electronically using
>> SFTP, requires that it uses public key authentication, and emails you
>> the private key that you're supposed to use, unencrypted.
>
>    I thought the private key can only be used to decrypt, not to encrypt.
> (Unless the public key can be created from the private key, which might be
> the case.)

Normaly, you should first create your private decryption key.
Then, from that key, you generate the public encryption key. That key
can be transmited unencrypted.

Post a reply to this message

> >> A company that requires you to send files to them electronically using
> >> SFTP, requires that it uses public key authentication, and emails you
> >> the private key that you're supposed to use, unencrypted.
> >
> >    I thought the private key can only be used to decrypt, not to encrypt.
> > (Unless the public key can be created from the private key, which might be
> > the case.)
> >

> Normaly, you should first create your private decryption key.
> Then, from that key, you generate the public encryption key. That key
> can be transmited unencrypted.

  That's not what I was asking.

--
                                                          - Warp