POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : There's something wrong about... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  There's something wrong about... (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: There's something wrong about...
Date: 6 May 2011 04:12:21
Message: <4dc3ad65$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/05/2011 08:38, Le_Forgeron wrote:

> Private key and public key are the mirror of each other.
> If you crypt with the public key, only the private key can get it back
> in clear.
> If you crypt with the private key, only the public key ... and so on.

This is true of algorithms like RSA. However, there are algorithms where
the encryption and decryption keys are actually in different formats,
and it is only possible to encrypt with the designated encryption key.

> The RWTF is that the private key should not be generated by the company
> but by the identified people (you). And they should get your public key,
> verify your identity-matching-that-key using a separate *secure*
> channel, and then sign your public key with a trust level and their own
> dedicated key-pair for that purpose.

In this instance, we're only trying to establish a secure channel. If
they got an imposter's key, we won't be able to log in, and the problem
will quickly be rectified. (And the area the attacker temporarily gets
access to is empty until we put data into it, so there's no disclosure
to worry about.)

> The usual private-public key's algorithms allow only to compute the
> public key from the private key, at best.
> If the private key was computable from the public key alone, it wouldn't
> be private any more.

You understand that in principle, it is *always* possible to compute the
private key from the public one, right? It is impossible to prevent
this. All you can do is make it ludicrously expensive to do it.

> For instance DES is weak enough, yet 3DES in some modes (such as Crypt
> with key 1, uncrypt with key 2, crypt again with key 3) is assumed
> strong enough as long as key2 is not key1 or key3 (moreover, DES use an
> internal vector, and some mode propagate/share that vector with the 3
> stages, whereas other modes have their own vector for each stage).

AES exists for a reason. Triple DES is subject to meet-in-the-middle
attacks, and its keyspace is only 168 bits anyway. The keyspace of AES
is potentially much bigger, and in general it is considered far more
secure than any modification of DES.

> And last but not least, usually the asymetric keys (public-private) are
> only used to crypt a "random" symetric key (like XOR) generated for the
> session (or less), because asymetric cyphering is expensive in CPU
> whereas symetric is usually far less.
> Which also means that if part of the data exchange can be guessed (such
> as a standardised header), the eaves-dropper could try to find the
> symetric key in use by comparing the crypted data with the clear one.
> (hence the random appeareance of "no-data" packets in the ssh streams:
> just to make their lifes more difficult)

Any symmetric block cipher worth toffee *must* be able to resist an
attacker with access to both the plaintext and the matching ciphertext
being able to deduce the key, or anything about the key. This is a very
basic property of symmetric block ciphers. Any cipher lacking this
property is trivially insecure. This has nothing to do with public key
cryptography.

Post a reply to this message

Le 06/05/2011 10:12, Invisible a écrit :
> On 06/05/2011 08:38, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>
>> Private key and public key are the mirror of each other.
>> If you crypt with the public key, only the private key can get it back
>> in clear.
>> If you crypt with the private key, only the public key ... and so on.
>
> This is true of algorithms like RSA. However, there are algorithms where
> the encryption and decryption keys are actually in different formats,
> and it is only possible to encrypt with the designated encryption key.

Agreed. Notice the "if" at the start of the lines, please.

>> The usual private-public key's algorithms allow only to compute the
>> public key from the private key, at best.
>> If the private key was computable from the public key alone, it wouldn't
>> be private any more.
>
> You understand that in principle, it is *always* possible to compute the
> private key from the public one, right? It is impossible to prevent
> this. All you can do is make it ludicrously expensive to do it.

It is always possible to *find by exhaustive exploration* of the key
space a private key that would match a public key. But that is not
computation.
Computation implies a better algorithm than "try key, generate next key,
repeat".

>> For instance DES is weak enough, yet 3DES in some modes (such as Crypt
>> with key 1, uncrypt with key 2, crypt again with key 3) is assumed
>> strong enough as long as key2 is not key1 or key3 (moreover, DES use an
>> internal vector, and some mode propagate/share that vector with the 3
>> stages, whereas other modes have their own vector for each stage).
>
> AES exists for a reason. Triple DES is subject to meet-in-the-middle
> attacks, and its keyspace is only 168 bits anyway. The keyspace of AES
> is potentially much bigger, and in general it is considered far more
> secure than any modification of DES.

DES was used as an illustration. Moreover, the 3*56 bits of 3DES have a
lower entropy (so, 3*56 bits is *not* 168, at least in cryptography) due
to issue in the model.

I agree that there is better than 3DES, but it is one of the few
algorithms required (and then accepted) everywhere which also can have
dedicated hardware.

--
Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
around.

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
it's free.

Post a reply to this message