POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random research Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Random research (Message 1 to 10 of 32)
From: Invisible
Subject: Random research
Date: 21 Apr 2011 05:45:25
Message: <4daffcb5$1@news.povray.org>
26 miles across the sea
Santa Catalina is waiting for me.
Santa Catalina, the island of romance.

But, um, 26 miles *from where*?

Well, after eventually guessing the correct spelling (Is that "san" or
"santa"? "cataline" or "catalina" or "catarina" or...? Is that with a C
or a K?) I eventually discovered [as presumably everybody except me
already knows] that it's a small island off the coast of California.
Wikipedia claims that it's actually 22 miles off the coast, presumably
measured from the nearest point, so the "40 kil-o-meters in a leaky old
boat" must be from somewhere further along the coast. (Or perhaps
inland, although "26 miles *across the sea*" implies that the ocean part
specifically is 26 miles.)