POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A kind of revolution is happening in the United States Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  A kind of revolution is happening in the United States (Message 141 to 150 of 452)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: A kind of revolution is happening in the United States
Date: 14 Apr 2011 17:29:21
Message: <4da76731$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:28:39 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> On 14/04/2011 09:09 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Scott Adams once said 'we're all idiots from time to time'.
>
> "Every man is a damned fool for at least five minutes of every day.
> Wisdom consists of not exceeding that quota." (?)
>
> "There are only two things which are infinite - the universe, and human
> stupidity. And I'm not even sure about the first one." (Einstein)
>
> "In summary, people are a problem." (Adams)

Yep, all of those are relevant. :)  (The last being Douglas - rather than
Scott - Adams.)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Apr 2011 17:30:00
Message: <4da76758$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:31:50 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 4/14/2011 12:27, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:16:01 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>>
>>> The fundamental problem is that religious people have figured out that
>>> they can complain that *other* people aren't religious in the same way
>>> they are, and that's somehow harmful to them.
>>
>> Except that that didn't work in the appeal on Prop 8, as I understand
>> it - didn't the court find that those who claimed that gay marriage
>> harmed them didn't actually have standing to sue because they couldn't
>> demonstrate how they were harmed?
>
> Oh, it doesn't *always* work. But certainly it convinced a whole
> boatload of people that their own marriages were at risk due to gays
> still being allowed to marry.

Absolutely.  But the court (rightly, IMNSHO) set them straight in ruling
that they didn't have standing to sue over it.

Jim

Post a reply to this message