POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 19:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? (Message 11 to 20 of 182)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells?
Date: 5 Oct 2009 18:12:44
Message: <4ACA6F58.6030704@hotmail.com>
On 5-10-2009 23:00, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

http://www.cracked.com/article_17561_6-things-that-shouldnt-explode-but-did-anyway.html

>> It looks quite like !
>> http://www.povray.org/community/hof/office-13.php
>
> ...the HELL?!
>
> How in the name of God did you recognise that some arbitrary office
> scene was actually a tiny segment from part of an existing image?! O_O
>
> You're one scary dude.

I think Mike is more impressive. He saw it and recognized it without
knowing there was something wrong with it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 5 Oct 2009 18:17:59
Message: <4aca7097$1@news.povray.org>
m_a_r_c wrote:
> It looks quite like !
> http://www.povray.org/community/hof/office-13.php

Oh! I was looking at the lake at the bottom. I didn't even catch that.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 5 Oct 2009 18:43:01
Message: <4aca7675$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/05/09 16:00, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> It looks quite like !
>> http://www.povray.org/community/hof/office-13.php
>
> ...the HELL?!
>
> How in the name of God did you recognise that some arbitrary office
> scene was actually a tiny segment from part of an existing image?! O_O
>
> You're one scary dude.

	It's one of the most famous POV-Ray rendered images out there.

--
The missing link between ape and civilized man has been found. It is us.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 6 Oct 2009 04:05:36
Message: <4acafa50@news.povray.org>
>> How in the name of God did you recognise that some arbitrary office
>> scene was actually a tiny segment from part of an existing image?! O_O
>>
>> You're one scary dude.
>
>     It's one of the most famous POV-Ray rendered images out there.

...of an ordinary-looking office. It's remarkable in that it's
completely unremarkable. It looks like an ordinary office. (Rather than,
say, a computer-generated image.) There must be a million offices that
look extremely similar to it. To recognise this amoung all similar
possibilities is pretty impressive, IMHO.

Post a reply to this message

From: m a r c
Date: 6 Oct 2009 04:17:25
Message: <4acafd15$1@news.povray.org>

4acafa50@news.povray.org...
> ...of an ordinary-looking office. It's remarkable in that it's completely
> unremarkable. It looks like an ordinary office. (Rather than, say, a
> computer-generated image.) There must be a million offices that look
> extremely similar to it. To recognise this amoung all similar
> possibilities is pretty impressive, IMHO.

As  Warp, andrel and Mueen said, it is a famous render and Mike gave a kind
of a hint in his initial post :-)

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 6 Oct 2009 04:23:28
Message: <4acafe80$1@news.povray.org>
>> ...of an ordinary-looking office. It's remarkable in that it's completely
>> unremarkable. It looks like an ordinary office. (Rather than, say, a
>> computer-generated image.) There must be a million offices that look
>> extremely similar to it. To recognise this amoung all similar
>> possibilities is pretty impressive, IMHO.
>
> As  Warp, andrel and Mueen said, it is a famous render and Mike gave a kind
> of a hint in his initial post :-)

Well, if it was a render of an office with orange walls or something, I
could understand. But how somebody could recognise a completely ordinary
office as just happening to be like another completely ordinary office
they've seen somewhere else before... that's pretty incredible.

I mean, hell, if I posted an image of cs_office, the only reason anybody
would know it's cs_office is the low polygon count...

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 6 Oct 2009 05:43:33
Message: <4acb1145$1@news.povray.org>
>> I think they just assume that if they find them on Google image search
>> they
>> are free to use on their own website.
>
>  Even though google image search warns about possible copyright?

I doubt many people read all the text, I certainly never noticed before it
said that (usually just because I click the "show full image" straight
away).  And even if they did read it, I'm sure it wouldn't stop most people
who are just looking for a nice image to put on their website.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 6 Oct 2009 05:47:08
Message: <4acb121c@news.povray.org>
>> As  Warp, andrel and Mueen said, it is a famous render and Mike gave a
>> kind of a hint in his initial post :-)
>
> Well, if it was a render of an office with orange walls or something, I
> could understand. But how somebody could recognise a completely ordinary
> office

I think it's quite distinctive actually, I certainly recognised it as soon
as I saw the link in the OP.  Wasn't there another thread on here a short
while ago which also showed someone using this image?

Post a reply to this message

From: m a r c
Date: 6 Oct 2009 07:20:06
Message: <4acb27e6@news.povray.org>

4acb121c@news.povray.org...

> I think it's quite distinctive actually, I certainly recognised it as soon
> as I saw the link in the OP.  Wasn't there another thread on here a short
> while ago which also showed someone using this image?

Well it is an extraordinarily ordinary office, so it is a good choice when
you are needing one... (if you don't mind the copyright break of course... )
:-)

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 6 Oct 2009 12:21:59
Message: <4acb6ea7@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> most people who are just looking for a nice image to put on their website.

And you know, of all the images to steal, the image of *office furniture*
was one of them? Where do these writers work, Hawaii bungaloos?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)