POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 01:17:48 EDT (-0400)
  The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC... (Message 31 to 33 of 33)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC...
Date: 9 Mar 2009 15:01:08
Message: <49b56774$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:32:14 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> We are talking about the same thing. :-)
>
> Could be.
>
>> My understanding from that thread was that it is ActiveX.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised. But being ActiveX doesn't preclude it being
> other things as well. Technically, Word is ActiveX as well. :-)

True...

>> And I'm sure
>> there's a way to install an extension for FF without invoking FF,
>> that's probably what Microsoft has done.
>
> Yeah. And FF is designed to support that, so I'm at a loss why people
> thing something's done wrong. :-)

Stealth installations are generally frowned upon.  But even in non-
stealth setups, I get sick of extra crap being included in downloads.
Sun started including the "MSN Toolbar" in their JRE downloads.  Why on
Earth would I want that crap on my system?  I always forget about it
(remote installs for testing centers running Windows) and end up having
to remove it once the installer is done.

I wanted the Sun JVM.  That's it.  If I wanted the stupid MSN Toolbar,
I'd download that and install it separately.  I really wish companies
would stop bundling crapware with their products.

>> Except that it should be designed properly to begin with. :-)
>
> Hard to do, with conflicting requirements. Very difficult to design one
> car that supports both Indy racing and people who don't know how to
> drive.

People who don't know how to drive shouldn't be driving. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message