POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monday fun! Server Time
30 Sep 2024 05:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Monday fun! (Message 2 to 11 of 11)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Monday fun!
Date: 12 Jan 2009 05:43:46
Message: <496b1ee2$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Ah yes, no Monday morning would be complete without me crawling around
> the lab floor trying to fix obscure PC problems. :-}

Obscure recurring problems.

> Today, a PC wouldn't boot (or even POST). On Friday it was fine, today
> it won't work. The PSU is really very warm indeed. Turned it off, blew
> some dust out of it, let it cool for a while. Now it works fine. GO FIGURE.

...and then it failed again. Once again the PSU feels much too hot. So I
replaced it.

cardboard box with a plain steel lump inside that has half a dozen
cables dangling off it.

each. And for that, you get a nicely printed box with a *shiny* metal
lump inside. It's metalic black (if that makes any sense at all) and has
a high-gloss finish. I can practically see my reflection in it! And on
the top it has a beautifully printed spec sheet with the company logo
next to it. And it claims to be "ultra-low noise". Well, in our lab,
that's kind of unimportant. (Recall that I measured sound levels of 80
dB and more in there!)

I wonder if it'll fix the problem though? Maybe the fan on the other one
just isn't spinning right any more or something? We'll see...

> I need a vacuum cleaner...

This turns out to be rather harder than you might imagine. You'd think
somebody somewhere would make a vacuum device especially for cleaning
the inside of PCs... but no. I found no end of USB-powered keyboard
vacuums, but that's it. I also found several portable car or household
cleaners, but they're not specifically designed for computers. Oh, and

so it has a high-quality filter on it.

Hmm, oh well!

Post a reply to this message

>> Ah yes, no Monday morning would be complete without me crawling around
>> the lab floor trying to fix obscure PC problems. :-}
>
> Obscure recurring problems.
>
>> Today, a PC wouldn't boot (or even POST). On Friday it was fine, today
>> it won't work. The PSU is really very warm indeed. Turned it off, blew
>> some dust out of it, let it cool for a while. Now it works fine. GO
>> FIGURE.
>
> ...and then it failed again. Once again the PSU feels much too hot. So I
> replaced it.
>

> cardboard box with a plain steel lump inside that has half a dozen
> cables dangling off it.
>

> each. And for that, you get a nicely printed box with a *shiny* metal
> lump inside. It's metalic black (if that makes any sense at all) and has
> a high-gloss finish. I can practically see my reflection in it! And on
> the top it has a beautifully printed spec sheet with the company logo
> next to it. And it claims to be "ultra-low noise". Well, in our lab,
> that's kind of unimportant. (Recall that I measured sound levels of 80
> dB and more in there!)
>
> I wonder if it'll fix the problem though? Maybe the fan on the other one
> just isn't spinning right any more or something? We'll see...
>
>> I need a vacuum cleaner...
>
> This turns out to be rather harder than you might imagine. You'd think
> somebody somewhere would make a vacuum device especially for cleaning
> the inside of PCs... but no. I found no end of USB-powered keyboard
> vacuums, but that's it. I also found several portable car or household
> cleaners, but they're not specifically designed for computers. Oh, and

> so it has a high-quality filter on it.
>
> Hmm, oh well!

They say the first sign of insanity isn't necessarily talking to
yourself. Its when you start answering back that you've truly crossed
the line into insane.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> They say the first sign of insanity isn't necessarily talking to
> yourself. Its when you start answering back that you've truly crossed
> the line into insane.

Well, nobody else is talking to me. :-P

Post a reply to this message

> > They say the first sign of insanity isn't necessarily talking to
> > yourself. Its when you start answering back that you've truly
crossed
> > the line into insane.
>
> Well, nobody else is talking to me. :-P

Give us a chance :)  Your first message is dated 1:45am, your second one
2:45am... not my optimal posting time :)

...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

> Give us a chance :)  Your first message is dated 1:45am, your second one
> 2:45am... not my optimal posting time :)

Really? Heh, what time zone are *you* in...

> ...Ben Chambers
> www.pacificwebguy.com

...oh, right. I see.

Post a reply to this message