POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wikipath Server Time
30 Sep 2024 19:30:11 EDT (-0400)
  Wikipath (Message 1 to 10 of 47)
From: Invisible
Subject: Wikipath
Date: 7 Aug 2008 07:48:36
Message: <489ae114$1@news.povray.org>
Tar -> BSD -> Unix wars -> SCO vs IBM -> Trade secret -> Trade dress ->
Honeywell -> Burroughs Corporation

-> Stack machine -> Accumulator machine -> Register machine -> Counter
machine -> Pointer machine -> Random access machine -> Random access
stored program machine

-> FORTRAN
    -> Arithmetic IF
    -> Front panel
    -> Modula-2 -> Oberon -> F

-> ALGOL
    -> P-code machine -> UCSD Pascal -> Ada
    -> Lisp machine
    -> Whetstone

-> COBOL

Like, TOTALLY RETRO, man!

I'm really loving this quote:

"The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offense." (Dijkstra)

Seeing the 8-line Hello World implementation, I'm tending to agree...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Tar -> BSD -> Unix wars -> SCO vs IBM -> Trade secret -> Trade dress ->
> Honeywell -> Burroughs Corporation
>
> -> Stack machine -> Accumulator machine -> Register machine -> Counter
> machine -> Pointer machine -> Random access machine -> Random access
> stored program machine
>
> -> FORTRAN
>     -> Arithmetic IF
>     -> Front panel
>     -> Modula-2 -> Oberon -> F
>
> -> ALGOL
>     -> P-code machine -> UCSD Pascal -> Ada
>     -> Lisp machine
>     -> Whetstone
>
> -> COBOL
>
> Like, TOTALLY RETRO, man!
>
> I'm really loving this quote:
>
> "The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
> regarded as a criminal offense." (Dijkstra)
>
> Seeing the 8-line Hello World implementation, I'm tending to agree...
>
> --
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/
> http://www.zazzle.com/MathematicalOrchid*

There are days that I tend to agree with that too.  Though I am not a COBOL
programmer, I am tech support for a medium size mainframe operating system, and
have to deal with a programming staff of COBOL programmers.  When a select few
of them have problems, and its always the same select few, I have to help them
debug their programs.  Though we have some very sharp people working here, there
are some I don't know how they find their way to work every morning.

As an aside, have you ever looked at PL/I.  My second programming job was at a
PL/I shop.  It has some nice features, but also some strange idiosyncrasies.
As the wikipedia entry on PL/I points out, there are no reserved keywords in
the language, thus you can have variable names like IF, THEN or ELSE etc. Sot
the following statement is perfectly valid:

IF IF = THEN THEN THEN = ELSE; ELSE ELSE = IF;

This can lead to some very difficult debugging.

Isaac

Post a reply to this message

>> "The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
>> regarded as a criminal offense." (Dijkstra)
>>
>> Seeing the 8-line Hello World implementation, I'm tending to agree...
>
> There are days that I tend to agree with that too.  Though I am not a COBOL
> programmer, I am tech support for a medium size mainframe operating system, and
> have to deal with a programming staff of COBOL programmers.  When a select few
> of them have problems, and its always the same select few, I have to help them
> debug their programs.  Though we have some very sharp people working here, there
> are some I don't know how they find their way to work every morning.

I went to uni with a bunch of people who were taught COBOL rather than
Pascal at college. (Apparently due to the Y2K marketin- uh, concerns.) I
don't know much about COBOL myself. All I heard is "if you miss out one
dot, the compiler will report an error message 800 lines later".

(I don't know whether that's true or not, but any programming language
where beginners might realistically write an 800 line program worries me!)

> So the following statement is perfectly valid:
>
> IF IF = THEN THEN THEN = ELSE; ELSE ELSE = IF;
>
> This can lead to some very difficult debugging.

That's fairly tame compered to the lambda calculus. (Then again... no
sane human being writes programs using the lambda calculus!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> IF IF = THEN THEN THEN = ELSE; ELSE ELSE = IF;

Anyone who writes a program construct like that deserves to be shot ...

Post a reply to this message

> >> "The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
> >> regarded as a criminal offense." (Dijkstra)
> >>
> >> Seeing the 8-line Hello World implementation, I'm tending to agree...
> >
> > There are days that I tend to agree with that too.  Though I am not a COBOL
> > programmer, I am tech support for a medium size mainframe operating system, and
> > have to deal with a programming staff of COBOL programmers.  When a select few
> > of them have problems, and its always the same select few, I have to help them
> > debug their programs.  Though we have some very sharp people working here, there
> > are some I don't know how they find their way to work every morning.
>
> I went to uni with a bunch of people who were taught COBOL rather than
> Pascal at college. (Apparently due to the Y2K marketin- uh, concerns.) I
> don't know much about COBOL myself. All I heard is "if you miss out one
> dot, the compiler will report an error message 800 lines later".
>
> (I don't know whether that's true or not, but any programming language
> where beginners might realistically write an 800 line program worries me!)
>
> > So the following statement is perfectly valid:
> >
> > IF IF = THEN THEN THEN = ELSE; ELSE ELSE = IF;
> >
> > This can lead to some very difficult debugging.
>
> That's fairly tame compered to the lambda calculus. (Then again... no
> sane human being writes programs using the lambda calculus!)
>
> --
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/
> http://www.zazzle.com/MathematicalOrchid*

Since I am unfamiliar with lambda calculus, not being taught in the FORTRAN
class I took at college, I looked it up on wikipedia.  After a few paragraphs,
my eyes glazed over and could no longer focus.  At least I now understand where
the lambda function in Python came from.   As far as COBOL is concerned, we
typically assign new programmers to maintaining existing programs, some of
which are over 15000 lines long.  I have heard that programs that size are not
that unusual in the COBOL world.

Isaac

Post a reply to this message

>> IF IF = THEN THEN THEN = ELSE; ELSE ELSE = IF;
>
> Anyone who writes a program construct like that deserves to be shot ...

...unless it's for an obfuscated coding competition, in which case they
probably deserve a medal...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>>> IF IF = THEN THEN THEN = ELSE; ELSE ELSE = IF;

>> That's fairly tame compered to the lambda calculus.

> Since I am unfamiliar with lambda calculus, not being taught in the FORTRAN
> class I took at college, I looked it up on wikipedia.  After a few paragraphs,
> my eyes glazed over and could no longer focus.

What do you mean?

   λn· n (λj· (λx· (λy· y))) (λx· (λy· x))

It means "n == 0". What's so hard about that? ;-)

> At least I now understand where
> the lambda function in Python came from.

Yeah, probably.

> As far as COBOL is concerned, we
> typically assign new programmers to maintaining existing programs, some of
> which are over 15000 lines long.  I have heard that programs that size are not
> that unusual in the COBOL world.

I hope I never have to touch COBOL!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/