POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : These words Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  These words (Message 31 to 40 of 166)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: These words
Date: 22 Apr 2008 10:33:53
Message: <480df751@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Hell, I *still* don't know how to pronounce genre! ;-)

johnruh or zhanruh ... take your pick.

> [And lingerie is just hard to physically utter. Still, not something I'm
> ever likely to need to do...]
>
>>> I guessed that "platonic" would be something to do with regular solids.
>>
>>   Ever heard of platonic love?
>
> Yes. I never knew what it meant though.
>
> Actually there are lots of words I've heard and wondered what they
> meant. [Obviously I can't think of a single example *right now*...]

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 22 Apr 2008 10:34:54
Message: <480df78e@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   OTOH, sometimes even "native" words are hard to pronounce, even to
> natives. One example which comes to mind is worcestershire sauce.

That one always trips me up :/

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 22 Apr 2008 10:45:20
Message: <4fur04dk0l71gni1pmvvg774065sb5cvbd@4ax.com>
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:31:12 -0400, Sabrina Kilian <"ykgp at
vtSPAM.edu"> wrote:

>John VanSickle wrote:
>> Oedipus complex:  n.  A romantic attraction towards ones own parent of
>> the opposite sex.
>>

>Usually refers only to a male's attraction to his mother. A female's
>attraction to her father is an Electra complex.

Since we are showing off with our Greek. I point Andrew to the "Medea
complex" if he wants to worry :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Halbert
Date: 22 Apr 2008 10:49:22
Message: <480dfaf2$1@news.povray.org>
>I'm also
> re-reading Haldeman's The Forever War. Definitely not inane tho' the
> ending is a fraction weak.
>
> John

The epitome late '60s early '70s mainstream Sci-fi.