POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just in case you missed it ... Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:29:15 EDT (-0400)
  Just in case you missed it ... (Message 11 to 20 of 95)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Just in case you missed it ...
Date: 17 Apr 2008 12:50:57
Message: <48077ff1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> Now if the Linux folks could do something like this
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPv8PPl7ANU
> everytime there's a new version out, THAT would be something to care about
> ;)
>
> G.

I'll have a quick word with Linus; I'm sure he'll be only too happy to
pay for it. I think Arcade Fire as the band and a troupe of dancing
penguins to add geek appeal ;-)

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Apr 2008 13:12:19
Message: <480784f3$1@news.povray.org>
>> ....and we care because...?
>>
> Warp probably cares, I certainly do and so, I expect, do many thousand
> others.

Well, I mean, it's not like it's *different* from the previous kernel or
anything...

Sure, there's probably a few internal differences. But from the outside?
Can you actually tell if a machine is running the old version or the new
version? No. So why the fuss?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 17 Apr 2008 13:23:41
Message: <4807879d@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPv8PPl7ANU

Wow.  Bulemic, man.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"

From: Doctor John
Date: 17 Apr 2008 13:27:27
Message: <4807887f$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Well, I mean, it's not like it's *different* from the previous kernel or
> anything...
>
> Sure, there's probably a few internal differences. But from the outside?
> Can you actually tell if a machine is running the old version or the new
> version?
yes. try uname -a
> No. So why the fuss?

What fuss? We're secure enough in the reliability and stability of our
OS not to have to make a song and dance about it. It's only commercial
pressures that require M$ to try and bullsh*t the average user that
external_show=internal_novelty

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 17 Apr 2008 13:48:32
Message: <48078d70$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> 2.6.25 was released exactly 10 hours ago. I'm already configuring and
> getting ready to test it on a laptop. (omg I'm a fanatical nerd :-)
>
> John

I'm currently compiling one (actually I was already, before reading this
post) - for UltraSPARC :).

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Apr 2008 13:48:33
Message: <v93f04lar9070puoknvjk9st22l4f8l2t3@4ax.com>
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:23:41 -0700, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
wrote:

>Gilles Tran wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPv8PPl7ANU
>
>Wow.  Bulemic, man.

$$$ ?
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 17 Apr 2008 13:52:06
Message: <48078e46$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:

> I'm currently compiling one (actually I was already, before reading this
> post) - for UltraSPARC :).

:-)

Now, all you M$ cheerleaders when are we getting Vista for UltraSPARC?
ROTFLMAO

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 17 Apr 2008 13:55:48
Message: <48078f24@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Warp probably cares, I certainly do and so, I expect, do many thousand
> others.

  For some reason OpenSuse has the policy that they never upgrade the
kernel (nor gcc) of a given distro to the newest version. They only patch
the official kernel of that distro with security patches. Updating the
kernel (or gcc) manually is always At Your Own Risk (tm).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Apr 2008 13:57:13
Message: <2r3f04d4l97n3tsp0kuk2oncbttuocv2jq@4ax.com>
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:52:04 +0100, Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom>
wrote:

>Now, all you M$ cheerleaders when are we getting Vista for UltraSPARC?
>ROTFLMAO

I'm sorry now that I forgot to give you that Dried Frog pill.
:)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 17 Apr 2008 13:57:16
Message: <48078f7c@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote:
> I'm currently compiling one (actually I was already, before reading this
> post) - for UltraSPARC :).

  Why would anyone want to run linux on an UltraSPARC? AFAIK linux still
doesn't get even close to Solaris in scalability...

--
                                                          - Warp