POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think I did something wrong with RK4... Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  I think I did something wrong with RK4... (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: Chambers
Subject: I think I did something wrong with RK4...
Date: 6 Apr 2008 20:55:28
Message: <47f97100$1@news.povray.org>
Here's a test app for Windows:

http://www.pacificwebguy.com/downloads/TestingRK4.zip
(Note that, although the app itself is named "Threaded_Physics.exe", I
haven't gotten around to implementing the "threaded" part yet.  Right
now, I'm just trying to make it work *correctly*).

Click anywhere on the screen to shoot particles in that direction.
Press F1 to switch between Newtonian integration and Rk4 integration.

The main thing to notice, other than the fact that RK4 is *much* slower
than Newtonian, is that using RK4 seems to amplify the forces somehow.
The result is that everything seems rather... well, crazy.  In contrast,
I've reached a point where the Newtonian doesn't look quite so bad
(although I'd still like to work on the speed factor a bit).

Here's the inside of the RK4 integrator, as I implemented it:

{
  collide(particles_now, forces_now, gravity);
  step(particles_now, particles_stepped, forces_now, dt/2);
  collide(particles_stepped, forces_A, gravity);
  step(particles_now, particles_stepped, forces_A, dt/2);
  collide(particles_stepped, forces_B, gravity);
  step(particles_now, particles_stepped, forces_B, dt);
  collide(particles_stepped, forces_C, gravity);
  for (int i=0; i<size; i++) {
   forces_final[i] =
    (forces_now[i]+2*forces_A[i]+2*forces_B[i]+forces_C[i])/6.0f;
  }
  step(particles_now, particles_now, forces_final, dt);
}

And stubbed headers for the functions:

collide(data, result, gravity)
This calculates the collisions between particles, and the resultant
forces (gravity is used as the initial, or base, force to start with)

step(data, result, forces, dt)
Applies forces to data with a timestep of dt

PS I just got a collection of all of Chopin's piano music (something
like 15 CDs), and it's great "productivity" music (ie, have on in the
background while I'm working on something else) :)

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

>  collide(particles_now, forces_now, gravity);

>  step(particles_now, particles_stepped, forces_now, dt/2);
>  collide(particles_stepped, forces_A, gravity);

>  step(particles_now, particles_stepped, forces_A, dt/2);
>  collide(particles_stepped, forces_B, gravity);

>  step(particles_now, particles_stepped, forces_B, dt);
>  collide(particles_stepped, forces_C, gravity);

If I am guessing correctly, "particles_stepped" includes velocity
information?  Well you need to keep 4 separate copies of the velocity
information just like you did with the force information.

>  for (int i=0; i<size; i++) {
>   forces_final[i] =
>    (forces_now[i]+2*forces_A[i]+2*forces_B[i]+forces_C[i])/6.0f;

Then you need to calculate the weighted sum of the velocities in this manner
too here, and use the weighted velocity in the final step call.

I find it easier if you keep two distinct data structures, one for the state
information (position, velocity), and one for the derivatives
(momentum,force or velocity,acceleration it doesn't matter for point
masses).

Then it is clear that "collide" must return a "derivative of state" data
structure which must be then used in the following step function.  At the
end, you do the weighted average of the "derivative of state" data structure
as a whole.

This allows you to add more stuff easily in future (eg orientation and
angular momentum) without having to worry about the actual RK4 core code.

Post a reply to this message