POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 33rd anniversary of .... Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  33rd anniversary of .... (Message 21 to 24 of 24)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: 33rd anniversary of ....
Date: 11 Apr 2008 11:44:17
Message: <47ff8751$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> You shut off your computer? Didn't know you could do that...

Yeah. When I'm not using it.  I'm rather annoyed at how flakey the
suspend code is on my Media Center.  Never another HP, I'll tell you.

> No it isn't. On mine its "Performance and Maintainence", then "System",
> in which there is a tab which is called "Automatic Updates".

Huh. What are you running?  Not XP, I assume?

> This is, of course, one of the fun things about Windows. Nothing is ever
> where you, never mind they, left it. lol

Yep. It takes forever to find all that stuff on each big upgrade.

> Well, yeah, that is true. Not something that would have normally
> occurred to me though. Mute point now anyway, its now set back to,
> "Download, but don't install until requested."

Glad to be of service. :)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"

>> No it isn't. On mine its "Performance and Maintainence", then
>> "System", in which there is a tab which is called "Automatic Updates".
>
> Huh. What are you running?  Not XP, I assume?

XP by default has the Control panel in its stupid "Category mode".

Post a reply to this message

> > You shut off your computer? Didn't know you could do that...
>
> Yeah. When I'm not using it.  I'm rather annoyed at how flakey the
> suspend code is on my Media Center.  Never another HP, I'll tell you.
>
> > No it isn't. On mine its "Performance and Maintainence", then "System",

> > in which there is a tab which is called "Automatic Updates".
>
> Huh. What are you running?  Not XP, I assume?

What Nicolas said. XP Pro, unmodified install, SP2. You either changes
it, or you bought the machine with it installed, and that had it set up
the other way. But what you get to start with is a list of "related"
features, instead of the "everything as an icon in the control panel",
that existed in 98.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();
      call DRM_everything();
    }
    call functional_code();
  }
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

From: Darren New
Date: 11 Apr 2008 21:23:05
Message: <48000ef9$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>>> No it isn't. On mine its "Performance and Maintainence", then
>>> "System", in which there is a tab which is called "Automatic Updates".
>>
>> Huh. What are you running?  Not XP, I assume?
>
> XP by default has the Control panel in its stupid "Category mode".

Oh! Right! I turned that off in about the first 10 seconds, along with
"hide known extensions." It never occurred to me...