POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : categorising objects Server Time
5 May 2024 13:43:27 EDT (-0400)
  categorising objects (Message 21 to 24 of 24)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: categorising objects
Date: 14 Apr 2023 21:18:10
Message: <6439fb52$1@news.povray.org>
On 2023-04-14 01:57 (-4), jr wrote:

> unsure (did I mention I'm crap at naming stuff ? :-)), to me they're like
> interior + exterior, "qualifiers", rather than categories per se; eg CR's
> coronavirus, it'd be 'organic forms' and 'terrestrial fauna' primarily, I guess,
> and 'microscopic' too.

I don't think of viruses as fauna.  I still hear dieticians referring to
bacteria as "flora," probably a holdover from the days when biologists
thought bacteria were plants; but viruses have no analogous history.

> [snip]
>     Household/Office Objects
>         Computers
>         Furniture
>         Furnishings/Decor
>             Office
>             Living space
>             Kitchen
>             Bathroom
>             Bedroom

Would coffee mugs be considered "Furnishings/Decor"?

> [snip]
>     Transforms
>     Cameras

Great additions!

Post a reply to this message

> > coronavirus, it'd be 'organic forms' and 'terrestrial fauna' primarily, I guess,
> > and 'microscopic' too.
>
> I don't think of viruses as fauna.  I still hear dieticians referring to
> bacteria as "flora," probably a holdover from the days when biologists
> thought bacteria were plants; but viruses have no analogous history.

yes.  dilemma(s).  fungi too cannot be categorised, really, as is.

> Would coffee mugs be considered "Furnishings/Decor"?

furnishings.  :-)  not ideal, but definitely not decorative (only).

> >     Transforms
> >     Cameras
> Great additions!

hey, thanks.

given that there have been no other follow-ups, I'll go with the last published
list, plus added 'Splines' (after 'Transforms'), and, maybe, something like
'Utensils' to go with the 'Furnishings/Decor'.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message