POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Related features as separate includes or collected into one? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 17:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Related features as separate includes or collected into one? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Warp
Subject: Related features as separate includes or collected into one?
Date: 22 Jun 2008 10:36:30
Message: <485e636e@news.povray.org>
I see that someone has added a bunch of features to the collection, each
one closely related to the others. For example HSLCube, HSLCylinder,
HSLDoubleCone, HSLSphere, HSVCone, HSVCube, HSVCylinder, HSVSphere.

  This raises an interesting question: When someone has a big bunch of
closely related features (such as pigments or macros), should they be
submitted as separate files, or should they be collected into one single
include file and submitted as such?

  Personally I prefer the latter option.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   I see that someone has added a bunch of features to the collection, each
> one closely related to the others. For example HSLCube, HSLCylinder,
> HSLDoubleCone, HSLSphere, HSVCone, HSVCube, HSVCylinder, HSVSphere.
>
>   This raises an interesting question: When someone has a big bunch of
> closely related features (such as pigments or macros), should they be
> submitted as separate files, or should they be collected into one single
> include file and submitted as such?
>
>   Personally I prefer the latter option.

My personal preference would be to put them in a single archive, unless
the size of each makes downloading them all prohibitive, in which case
it makes sense to allow people to only download what they want and / or
need.

Of course, even with a 56k modem, most POV files download quite quickly
(unless they contain binaries).

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

"Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
> Warp wrote:
>>   I see that someone has added a bunch of features to the collection,
>> each
>> one closely related to the others. For example HSLCube, HSLCylinder,
>> HSLDoubleCone, HSLSphere, HSVCone, HSVCube, HSVCylinder, HSVSphere.
>>
>>   This raises an interesting question: When someone has a big bunch of
>> closely related features (such as pigments or macros), should they be
>> submitted as separate files, or should they be collected into one single
>> include file and submitted as such?
>>
>>   Personally I prefer the latter option.
>>

> My personal preference would be to put them in a single archive, unless
> the size of each makes downloading them all prohibitive, in which case it
> makes sense to allow people to only download what they want and / or need.
>
> Of course, even with a 56k modem, most POV files download quite quickly
> (unless they contain binaries).
>
> ...Chambers

Good idea.

Mike has consolidated them into a single entry (about half a meg) and has
done the same with his grid patterns (167KB). I've suppressed the individual
entries.

Regards,
Chris B.