POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Browse whole collection option, please Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:39:28 EDT (-0400)
  Browse whole collection option, please (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Browse whole collection option, please
Date: 26 Feb 2008 07:40:00
Message: <web.47c407f1c87d415f34d207310@news.povray.org>
I've done to the site quite a few times and come away thinking it was completely
empty.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Subject: Re: Browse whole collection option, please
Date: 26 Feb 2008 08:16:27
Message: <47c4112b$1@news.povray.org>
"gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> I've done to the site quite a few times and come away thinking it was
> completely
> empty.

What solution to this would people prefer?

Two alternatives spring to mind:
1. Adding a piece of text beside the search button saying "(No
Parameters=Show All)"
2. Performing a search for everything when you first reach the search page
(and therefore displaying the first 10 objects)

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

> 1. Adding a piece of text beside the search button saying "(No
> Parameters=Show All)"
> 2. Performing a search for everything when you first reach the search page
> (and therefore displaying the first 10 objects)

  3. Have a link like "browse all entries".

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> "gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> > I've done to the site quite a few times and come away thinking it was
> > completely empty.
> >

> What solution to this would people prefer?

4.) A tag cloud (or cloud of keywords).  If that were not clear, I mean
something like the bottom half of this page:

http://flickr.com/photos/tags/

The problem is that on various sites, I've seen meshes of humans called humans,
man/ lady,  actors, characters, people.

Post a reply to this message

>> 1. Adding a piece of text beside the search button saying "(No
>> Parameters=Show All)"
>> 2. Performing a search for everything when you first reach the search
>> page
>> (and therefore displaying the first 10 objects)
>
>  3. Have a link like "browse all entries".
>
> --
>                                                          - Warp

That's interesting, because the search button also acts as a browse button
if no search criteria is entered or if a category is selected, so it would
be a tiny change to just title the button 'Search/Browse' if that would help
make it clearer.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

> >  3. Have a link like "browse all entries".

> That's interesting, because the search button also acts as a browse button
> if no search criteria is entered or if a category is selected

  I know. The problem is that it's far from evident that it does that.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> "Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
>> "gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
>> > I've done to the site quite a few times and come away thinking it was
>> > completely empty.
>> >

>> What solution to this would people prefer?
>
> 4.) A tag cloud (or cloud of keywords).  If that were not clear, I mean
> something like the bottom half of this page:
>
> http://flickr.com/photos/tags/

Hmm, that looks quite interesting and might be worth looking at when we've
managed to build the collection up to hundreds or thousands of objects. At
the moment I've been resisting the temptation to do much more application
development on the site in preference for investing time in developing
objects for the collection.

If there's some simple and quick way we can think of to clear up any
confusion about how to display stuff, then I'd be keen to do that. I think
the idea from Warp's response of indicating that you can 'Browse' the
collection is a good and very straight forward one.

Do you think that would address the issue you raised?

> The problem is that on various sites, I've seen meshes of humans called
> humans,
> man/ lady,  actors, characters, people.

This is the thinking behind encouraging people to index submissions with as
many appropriate keywords as they can think of on the submission screens.
It's also the reason that an object can be included in multiple categories.
The intention is to make it as easy as possible for people trying to find
things.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message