POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Full 360 with VAngleD Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:37:25 EDT (-0400)
  Full 360 with VAngleD (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Full 360 with VAngleD
Date: 10 Oct 2019 06:30:01
Message: <web.5d9f06fb61410b204eec112d0@news.povray.org>
Trying to use VAngleD with a 2D vector and x only gives me 0 to 180 deg.
Hoping that someone can provide a simple way to get a 0 to 360 result.

Perhaps update the distro to perform this (as a new macro?) or at least comment
the existing macro to reflect this, and maybe add the crucial code in the
comment as well)

Have to head out to work, so....

Post a reply to this message

> Trying to use VAngleD with a 2D vector and x only gives me 0 to 180 deg.
> Hoping that someone can provide a simple way to get a 0 to 360 result.
>
> Perhaps update the distro to perform this (as a new macro?) or at least comment
> the existing macro to reflect this, and maybe add the crucial code in the
> comment as well)
>
> Have to head out to work, so....

Try this:

#version 3.7;

// Calculate the angle from vA to vB in 2D

#macro Angle2D(vA, vB)

    #local AngleA = atan2(vA.v, vA.u);
    #local AngleB = atan2(vB.v, vB.u);
    #local dAngle = AngleB - AngleA;

    degrees(dAngle)  // For result from -180 to +180 degrees
    // degrees(mod(dAngle + 2*pi, 2*pi))  // For result from 0 to +360 degrees

#end // macro Angle2D

#declare v0 = <-2, 3>;
#declare v1 = <3, 2>;

#debug "\n"
#debug "\n"
#debug str(Angle2D(v0, v1), 0, 12)

#debug "\n"
#debug "\n"

#error "To stop render window from opening"

NB! I have only tested this lightly.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com