POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How do I stop background colour colouring everything in my scene Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  How do I stop background colour colouring everything in my scene (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: omniverse
Subject: Re: How do I stop background colour colouring everything in my scene
Date: 26 Feb 2019 00:35:00
Message: <web.5c74cf2462b6255c9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
> Am 25.02.2019 um 15:04 schrieb omniverse:
> > "cloudyroo" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> >> If I add a blue background to a scene with a grey floor and white sphere I end
> >> up with a pretty blue everything (like so: https://imgur.com/a/w9dF3Q1).
> >> Is there a way to stop this or another way to colour only the sky/background?
> >> Thanks!
> >
> > You seem to be using radiosity; if so, try adding the keyword gray_threshold (or
> > grey_threshold) to that part of your scene and use a value greater than the
> > default of 0.
> > It will diminish color transference by that amount as a percentage, 0.5 being
> > 50%.
>
> I strongly recommend against using `gray_threshold`, as it has
> unrealistic and probably undesired side effects. Most notably, it will
> desaturate nooks and crannies more than open areas.

Good point! I only thought about the blue color cast and not about all other
object colors. My fault for narrowing the question down too much.

Your no_radiosity suggestion makes me think it would be even better if there was
a way to apply a percentage instead of simply on/off. Although... with an object
for background, shouldn't (finish) diffuse and emission do something like that
anyway? Or does zeroing those matter to other scene objects?

I must give this a try just to see for myself what happens.