POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Isosurface and image_map Server Time
26 Apr 2024 04:43:57 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurface and image_map (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Edward Willem
Subject: Isosurface and image_map
Date: 28 Sep 2014 14:15:01
Message: <web.54284fa3a29fd8eb5f88611d0@news.povray.org>
I require a planar surface that truly has a rough surface. So my idea is to
implement an isosurface and use the function f_noise3d() as in the documentation
here: http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/73/#l27

However, I also need to map the rough plane with an image. Whenever I try to use
image_map with map_type 0 (plane-map), the object disappears completely but with
map_type 1 (sphere-map), the plane is mapped with a spherical mapping and I can
still see the object. But I do not want a sphere mapping. Any thoughts on how to
achieve a plane mapping onto an isosurface?

I have tried adjusting the accuracy and max_gradient as in the documentation
here: http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/157/. However, this does
not help.

#include "colors.inc"
#include "functions.inc"

#declare filename = concat("myfile.png")

isosurface {

 function { x + f_noise3d(0, y, z) }
 contained_by { box { <-5,-5,-5>, <5,5,5> } }
 accuracy 0.1 //adjust?
 max_gradient 1.1 //adjust?
 open
  pigment {
   image_map {
    png filename
    map_type 0 //changing to 1 allows me to see object but with spherical
mapping
    interpolate 2
    once
   }

  }
 scale 1
 rotate<0,90,0>
 translate<0,0,10>

}

light_source { <0, 0, 0> color White}

Post a reply to this message

> I require a planar surface that truly has a rough surface. So my idea is to
> implement an isosurface and use the function f_noise3d() as in the documentation
> here: http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/73/#l27
>
> However, I also need to map the rough plane with an image. Whenever I try to use
> image_map with map_type 0 (plane-map), the object disappears completely but with
> map_type 1 (sphere-map), the plane is mapped with a spherical mapping and I can
> still see the object. But I do not want a sphere mapping. Any thoughts on how to
> achieve a plane mapping onto an isosurface?
>
> I have tried adjusting the accuracy and max_gradient as in the documentation
> here: http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/157/. However, this does
> not help.
>
> #include "colors.inc"
> #include "functions.inc"
>
> #declare filename = concat("myfile.png")
>
> isosurface {
>
>   function { x + f_noise3d(0, y, z) }
>   contained_by { box { <-5,-5,-5>, <5,5,5> } }
>   accuracy 0.1 //adjust?
>   max_gradient 1.1 //adjust?
>   open
>    pigment {
>     image_map {
>      png filename
>      map_type 0 //changing to 1 allows me to see object but with spherical
> mapping
>      interpolate 2
>      once
>     }
>
>    }
>   scale 1
>   rotate<0,90,0>
>   translate<0,0,10>
>
> }
>
> light_source { <0, 0, 0> color White}

Your image only cover a 1 by 1 square, and with once, the rest is
apparently getting a totaly transparent pigment.

Change your object as follow:
isosurface {

  function { z + f_noise3d(x, y, 0) }
// Surface now in it's desired orientation

// use this if you want smaller bumps
// #declare Bump_Size = 10;
// function{z+ f_noise3d(x*Bump_Size, y*Bump_Size, 0)/Bump_Size) }

  contained_by { box { <-5,-5,-1>, <5,5,0> } }
// Tight container = faster rendering

  accuracy 0.1
  max_gradient 1.1 //adjust if needed but should be OK
  open
   pigment {
    image_map {
     png filename
     map_type 0
     interpolate 2
translate <-0.5, -0.5, 0>// center the image
scale 10 // scale it to fit the isosurface
//    once
// no longer needed as the image now cover the whole isosurface
    }

   }
  scale 1
  //rotate<0,90,0>
// As the isosurface is now created parallel to the
// X-Y plane, you don't need to rotate it.

  translate<0,0,10>

}

Post a reply to this message

>> I require a planar surface that truly has a rough surface. So my idea
>> is to
>> implement an isosurface and use the function f_noise3d() as in the
>> documentation
>> here: http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/73/#l27
>>
>> However, I also need to map the rough plane with an image. Whenever I
>> try to use
>> image_map with map_type 0 (plane-map), the object disappears
>> completely but with
>> map_type 1 (sphere-map), the plane is mapped with a spherical mapping
>> and I can
>> still see the object. But I do not want a sphere mapping. Any thoughts
>> on how to
>> achieve a plane mapping onto an isosurface?
>>
>> I have tried adjusting the accuracy and max_gradient as in the
>> documentation
>> here: http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/157/. However,
>> this does
>> not help.
>>
>> #include "colors.inc"
>> #include "functions.inc"
>>
>> #declare filename = concat("myfile.png")
>>
>> isosurface {
>>
>>   function { x + f_noise3d(0, y, z) }
>>   contained_by { box { <-5,-5,-5>, <5,5,5> } }
>>   accuracy 0.1 //adjust?
>>   max_gradient 1.1 //adjust?
>>   open
>>    pigment {
>>     image_map {
>>      png filename
>>      map_type 0 //changing to 1 allows me to see object but with
>> spherical
>> mapping
>>      interpolate 2
>>      once
>>     }
>>
>>    }
>>   scale 1
>>   rotate<0,90,0>
>>   translate<0,0,10>
>>
>> }
>>
>> light_source { <0, 0, 0> color White}
>>

> Your image only cover a 1 by 1 square, and with once, the rest is
> apparently getting a totaly transparent pigment.

Also, the image is actualy situated just above the highest points of the
surface.

Post a reply to this message

From: Edward Willem
Date: 28 Sep 2014 18:40:00
Message: <web.54288d5c302847f55f88611d0@news.povray.org>
Great! Thank you for your help. What is not also clear to me from the
documentation: Which surface is being imaged? Is it the surface with corner
<-5,-5,-1> or the surface with corner <-5,-5,0>?

So, if a translation of <0,0,10> is applied to the isosurface, is the plane now
at <0,0,9> or <0,0,10>?

Is scaling the isosurface the same? For example, if I apply a scale 10, the
corner coordinates are now at <-50,-50,-10> and <-50,-50,0>?

So:

[...]

  scale 1 // --->Scale 10 changes corners to <-50,-50,-10> and <-50,-50,0>?
  //rotate<0,90,0>
// As the isosurface is now created parallel to the
// X-Y plane, you don't need to rotate it.

  translate<0,0,10> //--->is the isosurface plane imaged now at <0,0,9> or 10?

}

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 1 Oct 2014 19:17:26
Message: <542c8b86$1@news.povray.org>

> Great! Thank you for your help. What is not also clear to me from the
> documentation: Which surface is being imaged? Is it the surface with corner
> <-5,-5,-1> or the surface with corner <-5,-5,0>?

When you apply an image_map, the image is mapped crom <0,0> to <1,1> in
the X-Y plane and extent along the Z axis to infinity.
If you want the image to cover some other area, you need to scale it
appropriately.

That's why, in the example, I translate the image by <-0.5,0.5,0> before
scalling it to fit your isosurface.

> So, if a translation of <0,0,10> is applied to the isosurface, is the plane now
> at <0,0,9> or <0,0,10>?

Your isosurface, as defined in your code have it's "top" at Z=0 and
extend toward -1*z. When you add a value in the function, the surface
moves in the oposite direction.
Your isosurface start in the -1 to 0 range along the z axis. After you
translate +10 units on the Z axis, it moves to the 9 to 10 range.

> Is scaling the isosurface the same? For example, if I apply a scale 10, the
> corner coordinates are now at <-50,-50,-10> and <50,50,0>?

Exactly. <-5,-5,-1> become <-50,-50,-10> and <5,5,0> become <50,50,0>
You don't need to scale by the same value in each directions.
If you want to make the object larger but keep the same depth, you can
use : scale<10, 10, 1>

Alain

> So:
>
> isosurface {
>
>    function { z + f_noise3d(x, y, 0) }
> // Surface now in it's desired orientation
>
> // use this if you want smaller bumps
> // #declare Bump_Size = 10;
> // function{z+ f_noise3d(x*Bump_Size, y*Bump_Size, 0)/Bump_Size) }
>
>    contained_by { box { <-5,-5,-1>, <5,5,0> } }
> // Tight container = faster rendering
>
>    accuracy 0.1
>    max_gradient 1.1 //adjust if needed but should be OK
>    open
>     pigment {
>      image_map {
>       png filename
>       map_type 0
>       interpolate 2
> translate <-0.5, -0.5, 0>// center the image
> scale 10 // scale it to fit the isosurface
> //    once
> // no longer needed as the image now cover the whole isosurface
>      }
>
>     }
>    scale 1 // --->Scale 10 changes corners to <-50,-50,-10> and <-50,-50,0>?
// Yes
>    //rotate<0,90,0>
> // As the isosurface is now created parallel to the
> // X-Y plane, you don't need to rotate it.
>
>    translate<0,0,10> //--->is the isosurface plane imaged now at <0,0,9> or 10?
// The front is at 10 and the back at 9.