POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Display 3df data though a colormap on a isosurface from 3df Server Time
28 Apr 2024 22:54:49 EDT (-0400)
  Display 3df data though a colormap on a isosurface from 3df (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: mikaelk
Subject: Display 3df data though a colormap on a isosurface from 3df
Date: 14 Jan 2014 15:10:01
Message: <web.52d598e63148d87660cff8e80@news.povray.org>
Hello!

In short, I would like to visualize the electrostatic potential on an density
isosurface. Thus I have two 3df files, one for potential and one for density.

Similarly than in the figure in bottom of this page, except much more
beautifully.
http://www.cup.uni-muenchen.de/ch/compchem/pop/mep1.html

I know how to do the isosurface, but I can't figure out how to set a 'volumetric
texture' to it.

Best regards,
Mikael

Post a reply to this message

> In short, I would like to visualize the electrostatic potential on an density
> isosurface. Thus I have two 3df files, one for potential and one for density.
>
> Similarly than in the figure in bottom of this page, except much more
> beautifully.
> http://www.cup.uni-muenchen.de/ch/compchem/pop/mep1.html
>
> I know how to do the isosurface, but I can't figure out how to set a 'volumetric
> texture' to it.
>
> Best regards,
> Mikael

A "volumetric" anything occupy a volume, not a surface.

A solution would be to make the isosurface transparent, add "hollow",
and, finaly, add some media in the isosurface using your volumetric data
from the dencity DF3.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> In short, I would like to visualize the electrostatic potential on an density
> isosurface. Thus I have two 3df files, one for potential and one for density.
>
> Similarly than in the figure in bottom of this page, except much more
> beautifully.
> http://www.cup.uni-muenchen.de/ch/compchem/pop/mep1.html
>
> I know how to do the isosurface, but I can't figure out how to set a 'volumetric
> texture' to it.

I guess you mean df3?

If we're talking about texturing the actual surface of the isosurface
object, it should be as simple as:

isosurface {
   texture {
     pigment {
       density_file df3 "filename.df3" interpolate 1
       pigment_map {
       }
     }
   }
}

Post a reply to this message

> > In short, I would like to visualize the electrostatic potential on an density
> > isosurface. Thus I have two 3df files, one for potential and one for density.
> >
> > Similarly than in the figure in bottom of this page, except much more
> > beautifully.
> > http://www.cup.uni-muenchen.de/ch/compchem/pop/mep1.html
> >
> > I know how to do the isosurface, but I can't figure out how to set a 'volumetric
> > texture' to it.
>
> I guess you mean df3?
>
> If we're talking about texturing the actual surface of the isosurface
> object, it should be as simple as:
>
> isosurface {
>    texture {
>      pigment {
>        density_file df3 "filename.df3" interpolate 1
>        pigment_map {
>        }
>      }
>    }
> }

Thanks. That worked out of the box. So with volumetric texture, I meant that the
mapping is from x,y,z to u,v,w texture coordinates like that. Maybe a wrong
term.

It's still extremely slow though (several hours on quadcore i7) and looks
absolutely terrible materialwise. I need to reduce specular reflection at least.

I'm not sure why the step structure. I think it maybe related to my quantization
of data, which doesn't have enough bits.

http://imageshack.com/a/img35/7173/6j0u.png

The system is periodic in few directions. I think I could make it periodic in
povray using function statement for isosurface with some use of modulo function.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm not sure why the step structure. I think it maybe related to my quantization
> of data, which doesn't have enough bits.
>
> http://imageshack.com/a/img35/7173/6j0u.png

Maybe try "interpolate 2" on the df3 you're using for the isosurface.

Post a reply to this message

>> I'm not sure why the step structure. I think it maybe related to my
>> quantization
>> of data, which doesn't have enough bits.
>>
>> http://imageshack.com/a/img35/7173/6j0u.png
>
> Maybe try "interpolate 2" on the df3 you're using for the isosurface.

Using interpolate 2, or even interpolate 1, should reduce the stepping.
As a side effect, it will reduce the max_gradient allowing you to use a
smaller value, probably resulting in a somewhat faster rendering.

Alain