POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Parse warning on refraction Server Time
14 May 2024 00:44:46 EDT (-0400)
  Parse warning on refraction (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: gharryh
Subject: Parse warning on refraction
Date: 17 Jun 2013 15:30:00
Message: <web.51bf6388957ad2fb520168c30@news.povray.org>
Since using version 3.7 i get the following parse error:
--
Parse Warning: Refraction value unnecessary to turn on refraction. To attenuate,
the fade_power and fade_distance keywords should be specified in 'interior{...}'

I have some texture defs that are using refraction.
How should i rewrite these defs to please the render machine.
[code]
#declare acrylic =
texture {
    pigment { White filter .9}
    finish {
        specular 1
        roughness .005
        reflection .1
        ambient 0
        diffuse 0
        refraction 1
        ior 1.4
    }
}
[/code]

Post a reply to this message

> Since using version 3.7 i get the following parse error:
> --
> Parse Warning: Refraction value unnecessary to turn on refraction. To attenuate,
> the fade_power and fade_distance keywords should be specified in 'interior{...}'
> statement.   Use of this syntax may not be backwards
> compatable with earlier versions of POV-Ray.   The #version directive or +MV
> switch will not help.
> --
>
> I have some texture defs that are using refraction.
> How should i rewrite these defs to please the render machine.
> [code]
> #declare acrylic =
> texture {
>      pigment { White filter .9}
>      finish {
>          specular 1
>          roughness .005
>          reflection .1
>          ambient 0
>          diffuse 0
>          refraction 1
>          ior 1.4
>      }
> }
> [/code]

What was the previous version number of POV-Ray that you used?

That warning was isued with version 3.6, and also 3.5 if I recal
correctly. I don't remember if it was isued with version 3.3... but it
already used the interior block to enable ior and refraction.

There is an added statement:
"Use of this syntax may not be backwards compatable with earlier
versions of POV-Ray.   The #version directive or +MV switch will not help."
that was not isued when using version 3.6.
This mean that in future version, it may cause an error instead of a
simple warning.

"refraction" in the finish is a greatly deprecated caryover from version
3.1 and earlier.
"ior" no longer have it's place in the finish and need to be moved to
the interior block.

The solution is:
Remove any refraction from the finish.
If you have refraction with a value different than 1, use fade_color,
fade_distance and fade_power in the interior block.

Move the ior to the intetrior block:
interior{ior 1.4}

Any object with a transparent, even partly transparent, pigment and an
interior block defining an ior will always refract rays.

To have a single definition for both the texture and interior, you
should use material:

#declare Acrylic= material{
	texture{
		pigment{White filter 0.9}
		finish{specular 1 roughness 0.005
			reflection{1 fresnel} conserve_energy
			ambient 0 diffuse 0
			}
		}
	interior{ior 1.4}
	}

Using variable, fresnel, reflection is much more realistic and
convincing. Adding conserve_energy is also important to get convincing
results.

Optionaly, you can add some dispersion to the refraction. Just add:
dispersion 1.01
to turn that feature on using the default dispersion_samples 7.

Recomended usage: Always start any user defined variable with an upper
case letter.

Alain

Post a reply to this message