POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Splines in future versions Server Time
14 May 2024 16:27:20 EDT (-0400)
  Splines in future versions (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: nimda
Subject: Splines in future versions
Date: 23 Mar 2013 12:15:01
Message: <web.514dd47223505449b0f4b1ca0@news.povray.org>
I use splines a lot in animations (to direct objects and cameras). But since I
use version 3.7 I get the message:

Parse Warning: This rendering uses the following experimental feature(s):
spline. The design and implementation of these features is likely to change in
future versions of POV-Ray. Backward compatibility with the current
implementation is not guaranteed.

Does this mean that there will be no more possibilities to use splines, or that
only the syntax will change?

Post a reply to this message

> I use splines a lot in animations (to direct objects and cameras). But since I
> use version 3.7 I get the message:
>
> Parse Warning: This rendering uses the following experimental feature(s):
> spline. The design and implementation of these features is likely to change in
> future versions of POV-Ray. Backward compatibility with the current
> implementation is not guaranteed.
>
> Does this mean that there will be no more possibilities to use splines, or that
> only the syntax will change?

most likely the later ...

Post a reply to this message

James Holsenback <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote:
> On 03/23/2013 12:12 PM, nimda wrote:
> > I use splines a lot in animations (to direct objects and cameras). But since I
> > use version 3.7 I get the message:
> >
> > Parse Warning: This rendering uses the following experimental feature(s):
> > spline. The design and implementation of these features is likely to change in
> > future versions of POV-Ray. Backward compatibility with the current
> > implementation is not guaranteed.
> >
> > Does this mean that there will be no more possibilities to use splines, or that
> > only the syntax will change?
> >
> most likely the later ...

I hope it is. Apart from moving objects I also use splines to trigger events:

#declare TimeLine =
  spline {
    linear_spline
    0.00, < .9, .9, 0>,
    0.25, < 0,  .8, 0>,
    0.50, < 0,   0, 1>,
    1.00, < 0,   0, 1>
  } //-------------------

object {
    FoxPosition(0, TimeLine(clck).x, TimeLine(clck).y)
    rotate y*90 translate <0,-.25,-.3>
    }
#if  (TimeLine(clck).z=1)
text { ttf "arial.ttf", "?", 0.2, 0.0
       texture{ pigment{ color rgb<1,1,1>*1.3 }
              //normal { bumps 0.5  scale 0.01 }
                finish { phong 0.1 }
              } // end of texture
       no_shadow
       scale .1
      translate <-.025 ,.1 ,-.75>
      }
#end

Between time = 0 and 0.25 the fox opens its left eye and start opening its right
eye. Between 0.25 and 1 the right eye opens completely. At time = 0.5 a question
mark appears above it's head.

I hope that in a future implementation it will be possible to use more than the
x, y and z components so it can be used to make complex time tables.

Post a reply to this message