POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : file not found after install Server Time
13 May 2024 17:08:15 EDT (-0400)
  file not found after install (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: fix
Subject: file not found after install
Date: 20 Mar 2013 16:25:00
Message: <web.514a1ae03467a044a4b2b2470@news.povray.org>
Hi, I,ve just installed povray 3.6.1 on my ubuntu 12.04lts box following
instructions on
http://askubuntu.com/questions/156449/how-do-i-install-the-ray-tracing-application-pov-ray-on-12-04
All went well on the first try with the povpawn test on the above page but when
I sat down today to start learning I got file not found error, went back to
original povpawn test, retried to parse but still getting

 0:00:00 Parsing
Possible Scene File Parser Initialization Error: Could not find file
 'povpawn.pov'
Scene File Parser Initialization Error: Cannot open input file.
Total Scene Processing Times
  Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Render Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)

I am thinking its some sort of file permission error so have been through the
..conf and .ini files changing one attribute at a time and retrying but without
any luck. I am sure the answer is in the documentation but its starting to melt
my head. If anyone could shine a light on my ignorance I would be very grateful.
Oh and any advise on how set the folders up so I can keep my pov files together
with my other graphics stuff also help, if I get past this hurdle.

Post a reply to this message

> Hi, I,ve just installed povray 3.6.1 on my ubuntu 12.04lts box following
> instructions on

http://askubuntu.com/questions/156449/how-do-i-install-the-ray-tracing-application-pov-ray-on-12-04
> All went well on the first try with the povpawn test on the above page but when
> I sat down today to start learning I got file not found error, went back to
> original povpawn test, retried to parse but still getting
>
>   0:00:00 Parsing
> Possible Scene File Parser Initialization Error: Could not find file
>   'povpawn.pov'

   Are you sure there is a .pov file with that name on the same folder
you are running the command from?

   The usual way with POV-Ray is to have a folder per scene, holding all
the .pov, .inc and other files needed by that scene. If you have files
(.inc or bitmaps) that you use often on many scenes, you will typically
put them into a "library" folder, adding it to the POV-Ray library path
so that it can be found by POV-Ray.

   Regards,

--
Jaime

Post a reply to this message

Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

> > Hi, I,ve just installed povray 3.6.1 on my ubuntu 12.04lts box following
> > instructions on

http://askubuntu.com/questions/156449/how-do-i-install-the-ray-tracing-application-pov-ray-on-12-04
> > All went well on the first try with the povpawn test on the above page but when
> > I sat down today to start learning I got file not found error, went back to
> > original povpawn test, retried to parse but still getting
> >
> >   0:00:00 Parsing
> > Possible Scene File Parser Initialization Error: Could not find file
> >   'povpawn.pov'
>
>    Are you sure there is a .pov file with that name on the same folder
> you are running the command from?
>
>    The usual way with POV-Ray is to have a folder per scene, holding all
> the .pov, .inc and other files needed by that scene. If you have files
> (.inc or bitmaps) that you use often on many scenes, you will typically
> put them into a "library" folder, adding it to the POV-Ray library path
> so that it can be found by POV-Ray.
>
>    Regards,
>
> --
> Jaime

Thank you Jaime, yes you are correct I was not in the correct directory to run
the command.