POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to make a simple CSG "readable" by humans Server Time
14 May 2024 12:46:07 EDT (-0400)
  How to make a simple CSG "readable" by humans (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: bugbear
Subject: How to make a simple CSG "readable" by humans
Date: 4 Sep 2012 11:00:01
Message: <web.504616b15fadc892408aa4ce0@news.povray.org>
I have now succeeded in making my povray file (my thanks to those who helped on
my coordinate question).

It's effectively a piece of parameter driven CAD, which results in a quite
simple shape. It works correctly, but not well.

As it stands, the shape is actually hard to make out and understand, since in
the tiny POV file the lighting, textures and "environmental context" are all
vestigial.

Is there a standard context in which I could place my item, so that it's more
"readable" to a normal human being?

   BugBear

Post a reply to this message

> Is there a standard context in which I could place my item, so that it's more
> "readable" to a normal human being?

Do you mean that there is no background or ground plane in your scene?
If that is the case. In the menu
Insert > Ready_Made scenes > take your pick. ;-)
A chequered plane is traditional along with a sky sphere.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> > Is there a standard context in which I could place my item, so that it's more
> > "readable" to a normal human being?
>
> Do you mean that there is no background or ground plane in your scene?
> If that is the case. In the menu
> Insert > Ready_Made scenes > take your pick. ;-)
> A chequered plane is traditional along with a sky sphere.

I'm using vim and the command line on Linux to render (I will
eventually be doing a permuted batch run of my POV for various
parameters)

Can you tell me the textual equivalent of the menu command you suggest?

 BugBear

Post a reply to this message

> I'm using vim and the command line on Linux to render (I will
> eventually be doing a permuted batch run of my POV for various
> parameters)
>
> Can you tell me the textual equivalent of the menu command you suggest?

Sorry, no I can't. I use Window$

But here is one of the basics scenes that you can paste into your scene.
Comment out the cameras if required.

// PoVRay 3.7 Scene File " ... .pov"
// author:  ...
// date:    ...
#version 3.7;
global_settings{ assumed_gamma 1.0 }
#default{ finish{ ambient 0.1 diffuse 0.9 }}

#include "colors.inc"

// camera ------------------------------------------------------------------
#declare Camera_0 = camera {perspective angle 75               // front view
                             location  <0.0 , 1.0 ,-3.0>
                             right     x*image_width/image_height
                             look_at   <0.0 , 1.0 , 0.0>}
#declare Camera_1 = camera {/*ultra_wide_angle*/ angle 90   // diagonal view
                             location  <2.0 , 2.5 ,-3.0>
                             right     x*image_width/image_height
                             look_at   <0.0 , 1.0 , 0.0>}
#declare Camera_2 = camera {/*ultra_wide_angle*/ angle 90  //right side view
                             location  <3.0 , 1.0 , 0.0>
                             right     x*image_width/image_height
                             look_at   <0.0 , 1.0 , 0.0>}
#declare Camera_3 = camera {/*ultra_wide_angle*/ angle 90        // top view
                             location  <0.0 , 3.0 ,-0.001>
                             right     x*image_width/image_height
                             look_at   <0.0 , 1.0 , 0.0>}
camera{Camera_0}
// sun
light_source{< 3000,3000,-3000> color White}
// sky
sky_sphere { pigment { gradient <0,1,0>
                        color_map { [0.00 rgb <0.6,0.7,1.0>]
                                    [0.35 rgb <0.1,0.0,0.8>]
                                    [0.65 rgb <0.1,0.0,0.8>]
                                    [1.00 rgb <0.6,0.7,1.0>]
                                  }
                        scale 2
                      } // end of pigment
            } //end of skysphere
// ground
plane{ <0,1,0>, 0
        texture{ pigment{ checker color rgb<1,1,1>*1.2 color
rgb<0.25,0.15,0.1>*0}
               //normal { bumps 0.75 scale 0.025}
                 finish { phong 0.1}
               } // end of texture
      } // end of plane
//---------------------------- objects in scene ----------------------------

/*

// sample sphere
sphere { <0,0,0>, 1.00
          texture { Polished_Chrome
                    //pigment{ color Red } // rgb< 1, 0.0, 0.0>}
                    //finish { phong 1 reflection {0.40 metallic 0.5}}
                  } // end of texture

           scale<1,1,1>  rotate<0,0,0>  translate<0,1.35,0>
        }  // end of sphere -----------------------------------

*/

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I have now succeeded in making my povray file (my thanks to those who helped on
> my coordinate question).
>
> It's effectively a piece of parameter driven CAD, which results in a quite
> simple shape. It works correctly, but not well.
>
> As it stands, the shape is actually hard to make out and understand, since in
> the tiny POV file the lighting, textures and "environmental context" are all
> vestigial.
>
> Is there a standard context in which I could place my item, so that it's more
> "readable" to a normal human being?
>
>     BugBear

A simple, minimal, start point (copy and paste in your scene):

plane{y, -5 pigment{checker}} // A ground plane using default solours.
//Placed under the reference plane in case your object extend under it.

plane{-z, -100 pigment{checker rgb<1,1,0> rgb 0.3}}
// A back plane some distance away.

Those planes use the checker pattern. Each case is exactly one unit whide.
If those a to small or large, you can scale the pattern up or down as
needed. If you scale the planes, the location will also change.

You can also adjust the location of the planes. Change the value of the
number after the Y and Z.
---------------------------------------

Now, look at your objects textures. It may be a good idea to add some
elements like those: (you don't need to use them all)

Add some highlights:
specular 0.7 roughness 0.01 // Small = tight highlights
phong 0.7 phong_size 150 // Large = tight highlights
// It tends to greatly improve your feel of the shapes.
//You can use both or only one or the other.

Change the brilliance of the surface:
brilliance 1.5 // Makes the object looks more shiny. The illumination
// is more affected by the incident angle than default.
// values less than 1 are possible but greatly flatten things.
// a value of zero will make things look cartoonish...

In some cases, adding some reflection can help:
reflection{0.1 0.5}

Adding one or more dim, optionaly coloured, light can improve things:
light_source{<-1000,500,-10>rgb<0.001, 0.002, 0.3>}

Alain

Post a reply to this message