POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strange halo on reflections Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:44:02 EDT (-0400)
  Strange halo on reflections (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Crippso
Subject: Strange halo on reflections
Date: 5 Jul 2012 19:05:00
Message: <web.4ff61c88ed9383ae130037650@news.povray.org>
Hi povray people,

in my code below i have camera looking at a diffuse disc. A second disc with
specular reflectance is used to reflect light onto the diffuse disc. When I run
this I get a strange halo around a central bright spot. If I remove the second
disc and point the light direct at my diffuse screen I get a simple spot in the
image with no halo. Any thoughts on what might be causing the halo, and if it
can be removed?

thanks for your help
stu

global_settings
{
   assumed_gamma 1

  photons{count    100000000 max_trace_level 20 adc_bailout 1e-11 jitter 0
gather 500,1000}

}

#macro PhotonTarget(Reflect, Refract, IgnorePhotons)
 photons {
  target
  reflection Reflect
  refraction Refract
  #if(IgnorePhotons=no) collect off #end
 }
#end

//point light at 0,0,0 or at 0,0,-50
light_source{<0,0,-20>, 1 cylinder radius 1 falloff 1 tightness 0 point_at
<0,0,0>}

camera
{
   orthographic
   location <0,0,-20>
   angle 40
   look_at  <0,0,-50>
}
//delete this disc and point light at 0,0,-50 for simple case
disc
{
   <0,0,0> <0,0,1> 50
   pigment{rgb 1}
   finish{ambient 0 reflection{1}}
   PhotonTarget(yes,no,no)
}
disc
{
   <0,0,-50> <0,0,1> 50
   pigment{rgb 1}
   finish{ambient 0 diffuse 1.0}
   PhotonTarget(yes,yes,yes)
}

Post a reply to this message

> in my code below i have camera looking at a diffuse disc. A second disc with
> specular reflectance is used to reflect light onto the diffuse disc. When I run
> this I get a strange halo around a central bright spot. If I remove the second
> disc and point the light direct at my diffuse screen I get a simple spot in the
> image with no halo. Any thoughts on what might be causing the halo, and if it
> can be removed?
>
> thanks for your help
> stu
>

> global_settings
> {
>     assumed_gamma 1
>
>    photons{count    100000000 max_trace_level 20 adc_bailout 1e-11 jitter 0
> gather 500,1000}
>
> }
>
> #macro PhotonTarget(Reflect, Refract, IgnorePhotons)
>   photons {
>    target
>    reflection Reflect
>    refraction Refract
>    #if(IgnorePhotons=no) collect off #end
>   }
> #end
>
> //point light at 0,0,0 or at 0,0,-50
> light_source{<0,0,-20>, 1 cylinder radius 1 falloff 1 tightness 0 point_at
> <0,0,0>}
>
> camera
> {
>     orthographic
>     location <0,0,-20>
>     angle 40
>     look_at  <0,0,-50>
> }
> //delete this disc and point light at 0,0,-50 for simple case
> disc
> {
>     <0,0,0> <0,0,1> 50
>     pigment{rgb 1}
>     finish{ambient 0 reflection{1}}
>     PhotonTarget(yes,no,no)
> }
> disc
> {
>     <0,0,-50> <0,0,1> 50
>     pigment{rgb 1}
>     finish{ambient 0 diffuse 1.0}
>     PhotonTarget(yes,yes,yes)
> }

Your gather value is to large. Without it, the halo is very small.

Uasualy, you don't need to set gather and let POV-Ray estimate the
appropriate parameter, whitch it normaly do quite well.

That said, when using photons, you always have some spreading and
bleeding around sharp bright spots.

Why setting adc_bailout so small? 1e-11 is prety close to the epsilon
value (a thressold value for considering a very small value as zero).
Commenting it out have no effect on your scene.

You don't need to set the screen object as a target for the photons, it
will collect them just as well without any photons block.

jitter default to zero and you only need to use it if you want to have
some random jittering to smooth things out.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

the reason for the large gather value and the low adc_bailout is because I found
that I need these for a the scene I am trying to model. The code I attached in
my first posting was a simple version of this scene - in my main scene the
object that reflects light back to the diffuse screen which is viewed by the
camera is more complex - it is several layers of different ior, and i use
fresnel reflection

stu

Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> Your gather value is to large. Without it, the halo is very small.
>
> Uasualy, you don't need to set gather and let POV-Ray estimate the
> appropriate parameter, whitch it normaly do quite well.
>
> That said, when using photons, you always have some spreading and
> bleeding around sharp bright spots.
>
> Why setting adc_bailout so small? 1e-11 is prety close to the epsilon
> value (a thressold value for considering a very small value as zero).
> Commenting it out have no effect on your scene.
>
> You don't need to set the screen object as a target for the photons, it
> will collect them just as well without any photons block.
>
> jitter default to zero and you only need to use it if you want to have
> some random jittering to smooth things out.
>

> Alain

Post a reply to this message