POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Multi-view images from 1 image Server Time
7 Jun 2024 05:39:06 EDT (-0400)
  Multi-view images from 1 image (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Chris3000
Subject: Multi-view images from 1 image
Date: 7 Apr 2012 20:55:01
Message: <web.4f80e15eb6d5a2115e3cdf210@news.povray.org>
All-
I am brand new to povray.org and am looking to take a single image, input it
into a POV file and generate multiple views from it.
Does anyone know where I can read more on how to do this in POV-Ray? From what I
have researched so far it seems one way to do this is texture mapping, where:
 texture {
      uv_mapping pigment {
         image_map {
            jpeg "grey.jpg"
         }
      }

Any other ideas and places where I can read more would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Chris

Post a reply to this message

> I am brand new to povray.org and am looking to take a single image, input it
> into a POV file and generate multiple views from it.
> Does anyone know where I can read more on how to do this in POV-Ray? From what I
> have researched so far it seems one way to do this is texture mapping, where:
>   texture {
>        uv_mapping pigment {
>           image_map {
>              jpeg "grey.jpg"
>           }
>        }
>
> Any other ideas and places where I can read more would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thank you!
> Chris

If you apply an image to a flat surface, there is no need to UV map it.

It can look as this:
box{0,1 pigment{image_map{jpg "grey.jpg"}} finish{diffuse 0.7}
scale<800, 600, 1>}

This will apply the image "grey.jpg" to a small box then enlarge it to
800 by 600 by 1 units block.
You can now rotate and move the box as you want, the image will follow
it exactly.

UV maping is usefull to apply an image based pigment to some objects
like a mesh, not all of them.
If your image is a single colour, then it's beter to simply use a simple
pigment of the appropriate colour.

Your inut image is flat and don't contain any 3D information, looking at
it from different locations will be similar to looking at a printed
version from an angle.

POV-Ray works with 3D informations provided by a text file using a Scene
Description Language, or SDL.
That is used to literaly construct your scene.
Once the scene is constructed, you can place the camera anywhere in or
around it, and change your point of view. You also need to provide some
illumination using one or several light_source.

There are some modelers available to help you construct your scenes.
Take a look at the POV-Ray site, it provide links from where you can get
some.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

Alain- thank you very much for your help and direction. I will look into this!!

Respectfully,
Chris