POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : new POVRAY user, but not new to POVRAY Server Time
23 May 2024 16:38:03 EDT (-0400)
  new POVRAY user, but not new to POVRAY (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: digitalwarfare
Subject: new POVRAY user, but not new to POVRAY
Date: 26 Mar 2012 18:15:01
Message: <web.4f70ea163fed68579c90330b0@news.povray.org>
Just wanted to say a Renewed hello to povray. I'm new to POV, but not new. I was
introduced to this many years ago on my Atari ST. It came on a coverdisk of
ST-User. I spent many hours (about 18) watching my computer trace a single
frame. I thought I would give it a new try. I'm hoping frame renders are a
little bit quicker on an intel core I7 than a Motorola M68000 8Mhz these days.

Anyway, Hello everyone!

Post a reply to this message

Am 27.03.2012 00:13, schrieb digitalwarfare:
> Just wanted to say a Renewed hello to povray. I'm new to POV, but not new. I was
> introduced to this many years ago on my Atari ST. It came on a coverdisk of
> ST-User. I spent many hours (about 18) watching my computer trace a single
> frame. I thought I would give it a new try. I'm hoping frame renders are a
> little bit quicker on an intel core I7 than a Motorola M68000 8Mhz these days.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here: From my experience, per-frame
render times of 18 hours are still realistic. You /can/ expect a lot
higher quality though :-P

Post a reply to this message

On 27-3-2012 0:13, digitalwarfare wrote:
> Just wanted to say a Renewed hello to povray. I'm new to POV, but not new. I was
> introduced to this many years ago on my Atari ST. It came on a coverdisk of
> ST-User. I spent many hours (about 18) watching my computer trace a single
> frame. I thought I would give it a new try. I'm hoping frame renders are a
> little bit quicker on an intel core I7 than a Motorola M68000 8Mhz these days.
>
> Anyway, Hello everyone!

Welcome from the distant past indeed ;-)

Let us know how fast your same frame renders now (if you kept it of course).

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 27 Mar 2012 04:59:15
Message: <4f718163$1@news.povray.org>
Le 27/03/2012 09:10, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
> On 27-3-2012 0:13, digitalwarfare wrote:
>> Just wanted to say a Renewed hello to povray. I'm new to POV, but not
>> new. I was
>> introduced to this many years ago on my Atari ST. It came on a
>> coverdisk of
>> ST-User. I spent many hours (about 18) watching my computer trace a
>> single
>> frame. I thought I would give it a new try. I'm hoping frame renders
>> are a
>> little bit quicker on an intel core I7 than a Motorola M68000 8Mhz
>> these days.
>>
>> Anyway, Hello everyone!
>>

> Welcome from the distant past indeed ;-)
>
> Let us know how fast your same frame renders now (if you kept it of
> course).

My guess is that the render of 18 hours on M68000 was either ngcloud.pov
or skyvase.pov;

Both still available in the provided scenes with povray.

Welcome aboard!

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 27 Mar 2012 14:18:02
Message: <4f72045a@news.povray.org>

> Just wanted to say a Renewed hello to povray. I'm new to POV, but not new. I was
> introduced to this many years ago on my Atari ST. It came on a coverdisk of
> ST-User. I spent many hours (about 18) watching my computer trace a single
> frame. I thought I would give it a new try. I'm hoping frame renders are a
> little bit quicker on an intel core I7 than a Motorola M68000 8Mhz these days.
>
> Anyway, Hello everyone!

Welcome back.

I recomend that you go directly to the version 3.7 RC5.
You'll find that there are quite a lot of new features to play with now.
The scenes that used to tahe hours back then, at 640x480 no
antialiasing, should render in a mather of seconds now, at 1600x1200
with antialiasing. But, if you use all the new features (media,
radiosity, subsurface, isosurface, variable reflection,...), you'll be
back to your old 18 hours long renders...

Alain