POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Unable to change the resolution of the rendered image Server Time
7 Jun 2024 16:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Unable to change the resolution of the rendered image (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Silverlight2009
Subject: Unable to change the resolution of the rendered image
Date: 8 Mar 2012 10:20:00
Message: <web.4f58ce00d4c2e65b771f88b0@news.povray.org>
When I choose another resolution from the menu under the Windows version of the
program, it doesn't take affect, the program still renderes in the 512x384 pixel
resolution.

What can be the problem?

Post a reply to this message

On 08/03/2012 3:19 PM, Silverlight2009 wrote:
> When I choose another resolution from the menu under the Windows version of the
> program, it doesn't take affect, the program still renderes in the 512x384 pixel
> resolution.
>
> What can be the problem?

Do you use an ini file to start your render or are there any switches in
the command box?

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 8 Mar 2012 10:33:43
Message: <4f58d157$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.03.2012 16:19, schrieb Silverlight2009:
> When I choose another resolution from the menu under the Windows version of the
> program, it doesn't take affect, the program still renderes in the 512x384 pixel
> resolution.
>
> What can be the problem?

You might have explicitly specified "+w512 +h384" in the edit box right
next to the resolution dropdown?

You might have explicitly specified a particular resolution via an INI file?

Post a reply to this message

From: Silverlight2009
Date: 8 Mar 2012 10:45:01
Message: <web.4f58d3613f9dc1b2b771f88b0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> On 08/03/2012 3:19 PM, Silverlight2009 wrote:
> > When I choose another resolution from the menu under the Windows version of the
> > program, it doesn't take affect, the program still renderes in the 512x384 pixel
> > resolution.
> >
> > What can be the problem?
> >

> Do you use an ini file to start your render or are there any switches in
> the command box?
>
> --
> Regards
>      Stephen

No, I use the "Run" button to start rendering, and the command box is empty.

Post a reply to this message

From: Silverlight2009
Date: 8 Mar 2012 10:45:01
Message: <web.4f58d3e43f9dc1b2b771f88b0@news.povray.org>
> Am 08.03.2012 16:19, schrieb Silverlight2009:
> > When I choose another resolution from the menu under the Windows version of the
> > program, it doesn't take affect, the program still renderes in the 512x384 pixel
> > resolution.
> >
> > What can be the problem?
>
> You might have explicitly specified "+w512 +h384" in the edit box right
> next to the resolution dropdown?
>
> You might have explicitly specified a particular resolution via an INI file?

Where should I search fot that INI files?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 8 Mar 2012 11:00:30
Message: <4f58d79e@news.povray.org>
On 08/03/2012 3:42 PM, Silverlight2009 wrote:
> No, I use the "Run" button to start rendering, and the command box is empty.

If you look in the message window of PovRay after a render you should
see something like:

Preset INI file is
'C:\Users\Stephen\Documents\POV-Ray\v3.7\ini\quickres.ini', section is
'[800x600, AA 0.3]'.
Preset source file is 'F:\Graphics\B3D
Data\Scenes\SSLT\RC4\Lucy\Lucy12_c2_.pov'.
Rendering with 8 threads.

Image Output Options
   Image resolution.....800 by 600 (rows 1 to 600, columns 1 to 800).
   Output file..........F:\Graphics\B3D
Data\Scenes\SSLT\RC4\Lucy\Lucy12_c2_.png, 24 bpp PNG

Does that tie in with what you get?

BTW When you want to see what is reported. It is often better to clear
the messages just before you start to render.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 11 Mar 2012 14:08:37
Message: <4f5cea25@news.povray.org>

> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
>> Am 08.03.2012 16:19, schrieb Silverlight2009:
>>> When I choose another resolution from the menu under the Windows version of the
>>> program, it doesn't take affect, the program still renderes in the 512x384 pixel
>>> resolution.
>>>
>>> What can be the problem?
>>
>> You might have explicitly specified "+w512 +h384" in the edit box right
>> next to the resolution dropdown?
>>
>> You might have explicitly specified a particular resolution via an INI file?
>
> Where should I search fot that INI files?
Usualy, in the same folder as the .pov file, and just next to it.

You may be trying to render the ini file itself.
What's the complete name of the file you try to render? If it ends with
.ini, then you are rendering the ini file that, in turn, instruct
POV-Ray to render a specific scene file (*.pov) using some specific
parameters, like the resolution. Any resolution parameters present in
the ini file will override your chosen resolution.
If you see something like this in the editor's window:

Input_File_Name=...*pov
Width=512
Height=384

You are rendering the ini file.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: MJP
Date: 4 Sep 2012 11:25:01
Message: <web.50461c1c3f9dc1b2ccc37f890@news.povray.org>
I'm having a similar problem. I use a program called MolPOV to generate POV
files for rendering (Windows version). This works OK, but the resolution is
poor. When I use the drop down box to alter the resolution and re-render,
nothing changes. The message output always says image resoltuion 400 x 300, no
matter what resolution I've selected. What am I doing wrong?

MJP.

Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> > clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:

> >> You might have explicitly specified "+w512 +h384" in the edit box right
> >> next to the resolution dropdown?
> >>
> >> You might have explicitly specified a particular resolution via an INI file?
> >
> > Where should I search fot that INI files?
> Usualy, in the same folder as the .pov file, and just next to it.
> >

> You may be trying to render the ini file itself.
> What's the complete name of the file you try to render? If it ends with
> .ini, then you are rendering the ini file that, in turn, instruct
> POV-Ray to render a specific scene file (*.pov) using some specific
> parameters, like the resolution. Any resolution parameters present in
> the ini file will override your chosen resolution.
> If you see something like this in the editor's window:
>
> Input_File_Name=...*pov
> Width=512
> Height=384
>
> You are rendering the ini file.
>

> Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Sep 2012 16:50:09
Message: <50466981$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/09/2012 4:23 PM, MJP wrote:
> I'm having a similar problem. I use a program called MolPOV to generate POV
> files for rendering (Windows version). This works OK, but the resolution is
> poor. When I use the drop down box to alter the resolution and re-render,
> nothing changes. The message output always says image resoltuion 400 x 300, no
> matter what resolution I've selected. What am I doing wrong?

Does MolPOV generate an INI file as well as a POV file?
You might find that the resolution is set there. I would imagine that
there is a setting in MolPOV to change the resolution and the AA etc.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 5 Sep 2012 16:55:15
Message: <5047bc33$1@news.povray.org>

> I'm having a similar problem. I use a program called MolPOV to generate POV
> files for rendering (Windows version). This works OK, but the resolution is
> poor. When I use the drop down box to alter the resolution and re-render,
> nothing changes. The message output always says image resoltuion 400 x 300, no
> matter what resolution I've selected. What am I doing wrong?
>
> MJP.

OK, 400x300 is correct for a quick preview, not for the final render.

Look at the *.ini file associated with your scene.
Does it contain any resolution setting? If that's the case, it will
unconditionaly override the resolution you set from the resolutions drop
list.

You only need to edit the ini file in one or another way:
1 - Change the resolution to the one you want. Change the Width and
Height values to suit you.
2 - Comment out the resolution in the ini file.

Look foor lines like this:
Input_File_Name=scene_name.pov
Width=400
Height=300

can become:
Input_File_Name=scene_name.pov
;Width=400
;Height=300
(allow you to chose any resolution you want at render time)

or
Input_File_Name=scene_name.pov
Width=1600
Height=1200
+a0.1
(unconditionaly set the resolution to 1600 by 1200 with antialiasong ON
with a threshold of 0.1)

The second solution will allow you to sellect any resolution you want.

You can also render the *.POV file that is refered to in the ini file.
Open the POV file and render that file, not the ini.

You may also do as Stephen said and look to see if MolPOV have any
resolution setting and change that setting.

Alain