POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Wrapping a bitmap Server Time
4 Sep 2024 16:16:48 EDT (-0400)
  Wrapping a bitmap (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Rick Seiden
Subject: Wrapping a bitmap
Date: 30 Sep 2002 17:30:04
Message: <web.3d98c140dc32a674a52acff50@news.povray.org>
OK. I've checked the documentation on this, and couldn't find what I was
looking for.

I have a simple vision:  A ball wrapped with a bitmap.  I use the image_map,
and it is a sphere wrapped with the bitmap four times, twice in each
hemisphere.  I was hoping to get it to go all the way around.

So, I looked into the docs, and found the "once" parameter.  Tried that, and
it has the bitmap in the top half of one hemisphere, not all the way
around.

Don't know what else to do besides that.

Thanks
Rick

Post a reply to this message

> OK. I've checked the documentation on this, and couldn't find what I was
> looking for.
>
> I have a simple vision:  A ball wrapped with a bitmap.  I use the
image_map,
> and it is a sphere wrapped with the bitmap four times, twice in each
> hemisphere.  I was hoping to get it to go all the way around.
>
> So, I looked into the docs, and found the "once" parameter.  Tried that,
and
> it has the bitmap in the top half of one hemisphere, not all the way
> around.
>
> Don't know what else to do besides that.
>
> Thanks
> Rick

it sounds like you are using the (default) map_type of 0 which is planar and
(without scaling and translating) would likely do what you are seeing.  What
you want to use is map_type 1 (spherical) with your sphere originally
centred at the origin (<0,0,0>), this wraps and warps the image to a sphere,
once has no effect on this type.  See "6.7.12.7.2 The map_type Option" in
the docs.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

>OK. I've checked the documentation on this, and couldn't find what I was
>looking for.
>
>I have a simple vision:  A ball wrapped with a bitmap.  I use the image_map,
>and it is a sphere wrapped with the bitmap four times, twice in each
>hemisphere.  I was hoping to get it to go all the way around.
>
>So, I looked into the docs, and found the "once" parameter.  Tried that, and
>it has the bitmap in the top half of one hemisphere, not all the way
>around.
>
>Don't know what else to do besides that.

map_type 1

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure