POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : help! my sphere test function creates a quad! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 00:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  help! my sphere test function creates a quad! (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Christian Parpart
Subject: help! my sphere test function creates a quad!
Date: 31 Jul 2002 13:07:53
Message: <3d481969@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

that's interesting,

I'm about to understand the povray functions but the simple examples (shown
in the official povray doc) doesn't work.

I created an isosurface as follows

isosurface {
  function { sqrt(pow(x, 2) + pow(y, 2) + pow(z, 2)) - 2 }
  pigment { color Gold }
}

All I get is a block not a sphere. So how is this happening. What did I
forget? any extra command line parameter or anything else?

Thanks in advance,
Christian Parpart.

Post a reply to this message

 Christian Parpart <cpa### [at] surakwarenet> wrote:

> isosurface {
>   function { sqrt(pow(x, 2) + pow(y, 2) + pow(z, 2)) - 2 }
>   pigment { color Gold }
> }
>
> All I get is a block not a sphere. So how is this happening. What did I
> forget? any extra command line parameter or anything else?

You need to specify an appropriate contained_by shape. If I recall
correctly, the default is a box from <-1,-1,-1> to < 1, 1, 1>, which is
just too small to contain your sphere.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

Christopher James Huff inspired the electrons to say:
> In article <3d481969@news.povray.org>,
>  Christian Parpart <cpa### [at] surakwarenet> wrote:
>
>> isosurface {
>>   function { sqrt(pow(x, 2) + pow(y, 2) + pow(z, 2)) - 2 }
>>   pigment { color Gold }
>> }
>>
>> All I get is a block not a sphere. So how is this happening. What did I
>> forget? any extra command line parameter or anything else?
>
> You need to specify an appropriate contained_by shape. If I recall
> correctly, the default is a box from <-1,-1,-1> to < 1, 1, 1>, which is
> just too small to contain your sphere.

Exactly, have many thankx :D
Christian.