POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ignorance rules! Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:51:46 EDT (-0400)
  Ignorance rules! (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Ignorance rules!
Date: 22 Jun 2020 16:18:13
Message: <5ef11205@news.povray.org>
Warning: non-newbies will face palm.  Three times.

In my earliest POVing days, I had scene files on two different
computers, transporting them back and forth via floppy disks.  Nowadays,
both sets of files are on one computer, in separate directory trees.
Over time, I have been gradually syncing the files and merging them into
one tree.

The biggest challenges have been two #include files.  One of them is my
3rd generation prefab render rig, and the other is a set of common
definitions that I used to use a lot.  These two files are not a concern
for me nowadays because I no longer use them for new scenes; my render
rig is in its 4th generation, and most of the common definitions have
found their way into the Object Collection.  But over the years, I had
made scene-breaking changes to these files, and for the first few months
(face palm warning) I did not document these changes.

This means that, as I merge old scene files that #include these two
files, I need to re-render them to see whether they still work, and with
which #include file versions.  Usually, it's just a matter of setting
version switches, but lately, I've been merging some of my oldest
scenes, deep into undocumented updates territory.  I am running into
multiple levels of intractable incompatibilities.

But this latest snag--it's not even a matter of documentation, as I did
comment the reason for the change.  I did not provide for backward
compatibility, because I figured the change was transparent.  I
originally defined functions Sqr(), Cubed(), and Sign().[1]  Then (two
face palms incoming) I decided these functions were too slow, so I
converted them to macros!

The POV-Ray 3.5 reference manual made clear that calling external macros
incurs overhead.  Based on the date stamps of the scene files that call
Sqr(), I had already been using POV-Ray for nearly 3 months, plenty of
time to have learned this.  Where was my head?

And in isosurfaces?  The macros would resolve at parse time, and the
render halt complaining about an undeclared identifier.  What possessed
me to write general-purpose macros for use in functions?

All I can think of today is that at the time I figured these functions
were simple enough that resolving them at parse time would not cause
complications.  The macro overhead would be irrelevant during the render
phase.  I must have gotten lucky with the first few scenes I rendered
with the change.  Either that or I had been so frustrated with the
slowness of previous isosurface renders that I never bothered
re-rendering them after changing the #include file.  Anyhow, I pretty
quickly stopped using these macros in new scenes.  But as I re-render
the old scenes, the problem surfaces.

In the intervening years, I have decided that if a procedure can be
defined as either a macro or a function, it is better to define it as a
function.  One just has to keep in mind POV-Ray's scope leakage
problems[2] when choosing names:

   - Once a macro is defined, its name cannot be reused as a global or
     local identifier--though it can be reused as a macro formal
     parameter.
   - Once a function is defined, its name cannot be reused as a global
     or local identifier--though it can be reused as a macro formal
     parameter.
   - Once *any* identifier is declared, it cannot be reused as a macro
     name.
   - Once *any* identifier is declared, it cannot be reused as a
     function name.
   - Once *any* identifier is declared, it cannot be reused as a
     function formal parameter.  (If you were unlucky, math.inc 3.5
     would bomb out for this very reason.  Precautions were taken
     starting with math.inc 3.6; for an example, you can take a look
     at function adj_range2().)

Also, document everything!

________________________
[1] I hadn't yet discovered f_sqr() and sgn() from math.inc, but they
are tangential to the matter anyway.  Fortunately, the existence of
these functions eases the conversion of the affected scenes.
[2] If you have formal computer science education, you are mortified by
these restrictions, wondering how people smart enough to create POV-Ray
could have allowed such boneheaded violations of modular practice.  I am
assured that the current development team is aware of such problems.
Yes, I will keep complaining about the scope leakage until it is fixed.

Post a reply to this message

> One just has to keep in mind POV-Ray's scope leakage
> problems[2] when choosing names:
>
>    - Once a macro is defined, its name cannot be reused as a global or
>      local identifier--though it can be reused as a macro formal
>      parameter.
>    - Once a function is defined, its name cannot be reused as a global
>      or local identifier--though it can be reused as a macro formal
>      parameter.
>    - Once *any* identifier is declared, it cannot be reused as a macro
>      name.
>    - Once *any* identifier is declared, it cannot be reused as a
>      function name.
>    - Once *any* identifier is declared, it cannot be reused as a
>      function formal parameter.  (If you were unlucky, math.inc 3.5
>      would bomb out for this very reason.  Precautions were taken
>      starting with math.inc 3.6; for an example, you can take a look
>      at function adj_range2().)

These things are good to know.
Scope can get pretty tricky and anxiety-inducing when I'm using things like
nested loops inside of macros, etc.
I'm never really sure when my identifier is valid/retains its value and when it
gets "released".
One day, when i get other things out of my hair, I'll probably try to write an
example scene that does all sorts of identifier backflips and other other
calisthenics.

> [1] I hadn't yet discovered f_sqr() and sgn() from math.inc,

I'm not sure why things like sgn() aren't in the source code.  It drives me
crazy when certain things I'd consider central to the operation of a lot of code
aren't written in the source code, and need to rely on include files...

And we don't really have very many proper matrix handling macros - which I kind
of found surprising for a 3D graphics package.

Thanks for you summary of the scope issues - these should make their way into
the official documentation.

Post a reply to this message

> Warning: non-newbies will face palm.  Three times.

:-)

> ...  One just has to keep in mind POV-Ray's scope leakage
> problems[2] when choosing names:
>    - Once *any* identifier is declared, it cannot be reused as a macro
>      name.

maybe I misunderstand.  the following works on alpha.10064268.unofficial

-----<snip>-----
#version 3.8;

global_settings {assumed_gamma 1}

#declare A = 0;

#undef A

#macro A(b_)
  b_
#end

#declare B = A(1);

#debug concat("B = ",str(B,0,0),"\n")

(if you remove the '#undef', ie try to create macro with same name while the
identifier still _is_in_use_, error "expected undeclared identifier" occurs.
which is as it should be, aiui)

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message