POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Incrementing variables in #for loop Server Time
18 Apr 2024 01:53:33 EDT (-0400)
  Incrementing variables in #for loop (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Incrementing variables in #for loop
Date: 26 Mar 2020 19:40:00
Message: <web.5e7d3c6f8fc02199fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
So, I came across a strange complaint from the POV-Ray parser. (qtpovray 3.8)

I have a standalone file that makes the virus particle for jr's animation.
Works fine.

I copied and pasted the object definition into an include file, and I was
suddenly getting the "Parse Error: Cannot pass uninitialized identifier to
non-optional LValue." error.

When I change the #local in the loop to a #declare, it works.

before the loop:
#declare dlong = pi*(3-sqrt(5));  //~2.39996323
#declare dz = 2/N;
#declare long = 0;
#declare Z = 1 - dz/2;

// ....

#declare COVID_19 = union {
#for (k, 0, N-1)

// ....
// and here we have the #local vs #declare problem:

 #local Z = Z - dz;
 #local long = long + dlong;
#end
}

I'm not sure why it would work in one scene, and not the other.
It's as if the loop or the #local somehow negates the global name, but only in
the include file.   :O

Post a reply to this message

> So, I came across a strange complaint from the POV-Ray parser. (qtpovray 3.8)
> I have a standalone file that makes the virus particle for jr's animation.
> Works fine.
>
> I copied and pasted the object definition into an include file, and I was
> suddenly getting the "Parse Error: Cannot pass uninitialized identifier to
> non-optional LValue." error.
> I'm not sure why it would work in one scene, and not the other.
> It's as if the loop or the #local somehow negates the global name, but only in
> the include file.   :O

docs 3.3.2.2.2 "declare vs local", see paragraph beginning with "Use of #local
within an include file ...".  (no different, afaict, from being within a macro)

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message