POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Realistic Wood textures Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:09:19 EDT (-0400)
  Realistic Wood textures (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: pascal
Subject: Realistic Wood textures
Date: 3 Jul 2019 09:13:05
Message: <5d1ca9e1$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I tried in vain to achieve in povray some kind of realistic wooden floor
such as described here in Blender :

https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/photorealistic-wood

I don't even know if it's possible in povray because I don't remember
seeing scenes like these. (Even if it's possible to translate such part
of a scene in the povray language from Blender).

I tried many things with textures (layered, groups etc) but it seems I
don't improve significantly my wood.

Any clue ?

Thanks in advance

Pascal

Post a reply to this message

> I tried in vain to achieve in povray some kind of realistic wooden floor
> such as described here in Blender :
>
> https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/photorealistic-wood
>
> I don't even know if it's possible in povray because I don't remember
> seeing scenes like these. (Even if it's possible to translate such part
> of a scene in the povray language from Blender).
>
> I tried many things with textures (layered, groups etc) but it seems I
> don't improve significantly my wood.
>
> Any clue ?
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Pascal

One of the things that this method heavily rely on is the use of maps,
such as :
Image map, often from actual photos of actual wooden floors.
Bump maps derived from the above.
The use of specialized shaders. Those are often not realistic, but made
to purpose.

Post a reply to this message

> I tried in vain to achieve in povray some kind of realistic wooden floor
> such as described here in Blender :
>
> https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/photorealistic-wood

http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.5ac57be22ec21c585cafe28e0%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://warp.povusers.org/povtips/

http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.45acdfaa3fb2bd2ec150d4c10%40news.povray.org%3E/

Post a reply to this message

> I tried in vain to achieve in povray some kind of realistic wooden floor
> such as described here in Blender :
>
> https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/photorealistic-wood
>
> I don't even know if it's possible in povray because I don't remember
> seeing scenes like these. (Even if it's possible to translate such part
> of a scene in the povray language from Blender).
>
> I tried many things with textures (layered, groups etc) but it seems I
> don't improve significantly my wood.
>
> Any clue ?
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Pascal

Like Alain, mentioned: those wooden floors are map-based, and using
appropriate maps you can certainly achieve similar floors.

Another way to go is by using isosurfaces. An excellent example of this
was developed by Christoph Hormann:
http://www.imagico.de/pov/wood_seq_en.php

Also in the past, a couple of macros were developed, one by Dan
Hentschel, and one by myself. They are fairly correct both but not as
spectacular as map-based floors. If you are interested, I can post them
here.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Le 04/07/2019 à 08:48, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
> On 3-7-2019 15:13, pascal wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I tried in vain to achieve in povray some kind of realistic wooden
>> floor such as described here in Blender :
>>
>> https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/photorealistic-wood
>>
>> I don't even know if it's possible in povray because I don't remember
>> seeing scenes like these. (Even if it's possible to translate such
>> part of a scene in the povray language from Blender).
>>
>> I tried many things with textures (layered, groups etc) but it seems I
>> don't improve significantly my wood.
>>
>> Any clue ?
>>

>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Pascal
>
> Like Alain, mentioned: those wooden floors are map-based, and using
> appropriate maps you can certainly achieve similar floors.
>
> Another way to go is by using isosurfaces. An excellent example of this
> was developed by Christoph Hormann:
> http://www.imagico.de/pov/wood_seq_en.php
>
> Also in the past, a couple of macros were developed, one by Dan
> Hentschel, and one by myself. They are fairly correct both but not as
> spectacular as map-based floors. If you are interested, I can post them
> here.

Thanks for all your answers.
Of course I'm interested !

Thanks in advance