POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : passing values Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:09:07 EDT (-0400)
  passing values (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: David Kraics
Subject: passing values
Date: 7 Nov 2018 19:45:01
Message: <web.5be38644fb00a658749dac470@news.povray.org>
I am working on a scene involving the inside of a cabin. Each room is in a
separate INC file. I use IF statements to make certain walls invisible so the
inside of the room can be seen. Normally I do this by adjusting a #declared
value in the individual INC file. Is there a way to pass a value from the main
POV file to the INC file so I can do it in one location?

Post a reply to this message

Am 08.11.2018 um 01:41 schrieb David Kraics:
> I am working on a scene involving the inside of a cabin. Each room is in a
> separate INC file. I use IF statements to make certain walls invisible so the
> inside of the room can be seen. Normally I do this by adjusting a #declared
> value in the individual INC file. Is there a way to pass a value from the main
> POV file to the INC file so I can do it in one location?

Any variable you declare in the main file is available in any file it
subsequently includes.

E.g.:

     // main file
     #declare Foo = 42;
     #include "whatever.inc"

     // whatever.inc
     #debug concat("Foo is ", str(Foo,0,0), "\n")

This even works with files declared using `#local` in the main file.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 08.11.2018 um 01:41 schrieb David Kraics:
>> I am working on a scene involving the inside of a cabin. Each room is
>> in a
>> separate INC file. I use IF statements to make certain walls invisible
>> so the
>> inside of the room can be seen. Normally I do this by adjusting a
>> #declared
>> value in the individual INC file. Is there a way to pass a value from
>> the main
>> POV file to the INC file so I can do it in one location?
>
> Any variable you declare in the main file is available in any file it
> subsequently includes.
>
> E.g.:
>
>      // main file
>      #declare Foo = 42;
>      #include "whatever.inc"
>
>      // whatever.inc
>      #debug concat("Foo is ", str(Foo,0,0), "\n")
>
> This even works with files declared using `#local` in the main file.

Maybe it could also be achieved if each room were embedded in a separate
macro?

--
Thomas