POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Object visible with no light??? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Object visible with no light??? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Frantisek Fuka
Subject: Object visible with no light???
Date: 31 Aug 2002 09:53:44
Message: <3d70ca68@news.povray.org>
I was just trying out the PovRay tutorial and I rendered the very first
scene before adding the light. To my amazement, the sphere is visible
(although very dark yellow). If this is not a POVRAY error it seems to
contradict my basic understanding of how raytracing works. How I can see
ANYTHING if there is no light source in the scene???

  #include "colors.inc"    // The include files contain
   #include "stones.inc"    // pre-defined scene elements

   camera {
     location <0, 2, -3>
     look_at  <0, 1,  2>
   }

   sphere {
     <0, 1, 2>, 2
     texture {
       pigment { color Yellow }
     }
   }

Post a reply to this message

> I was just trying out the PovRay tutorial and I rendered the very first
> scene before adding the light. To my amazement, the sphere is visible
> (although very dark yellow). If this is not a POVRAY error it seems to
> contradict my basic understanding of how raytracing works. How I can see
> ANYTHING if there is no light source in the scene???

  :)  ...look for "ambient" and "ambient_light" at the syntax reference.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

"certified POV-Ray Class 1 User" on my signature ? :-))

--Theo

PS: Everyone has a certificate, from Microsoft, from Novel or checkpoint i
should order one from POV-Ray. :-) It simply makes good in the signature ...
Distributed Network-Rendering auf bis zu 600 PC's mit SMPOV und POV-Ray 3.5
Download ab sofort bei http://www.it-berater.org/smpov.htm

"Frantisek Fuka" <fuk### [at] fuxoftcz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I was just trying out the PovRay tutorial and I rendered the very first
> scene before adding the light. To my amazement, the sphere is visible
> (although very dark yellow). If this is not a POVRAY error it seems to
> contradict my basic understanding of how raytracing works. How I can see
> ANYTHING if there is no light source in the scene???
>
>   #include "colors.inc"    // The include files contain
>    #include "stones.inc"    // pre-defined scene elements
>
>    camera {
>      location <0, 2, -3>
>      look_at  <0, 1,  2>
>    }